Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to add 111 oz (by wt.) baking soda -- seems like a lot.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to add 111 oz (by wt.) baking soda -- seems like a lot.

Hi, PoolMath says I need to add 111 oz by wt. of baking soda to raise TA from its current value of 80 to the target of 120 for a vinyl pool. This seems like a crazy amount -- about 7 lbs of baking soda! I'm leery to just dump that much into my pool. Might this adversely affect water quality, like taste or feel? Is there any reason to instead just raise the TA a little, with it ending up well below the recommended 120 level for vinyl pools?
    IG, vinyl (27 mil), 12,000 G, Apr 2016, OREQ TK400 test kit
    Pentair Tagelus sand filter, Intelliflow variable speed pump, automatic cl/br feeder
    solar bubble pool cover, full sun ~8 hrs/d, water temp 79-84 F May-Oct
    municipal water supply has low nitrates (<0.4 ppm), sulfates, turbidity, TDS
    don't know about phosphates, but suspect they are low (no agriculture around)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Need to add 111 oz (by wt.) baking soda -- seems like a lot.

Are you having problems with your PH swinging around? If not, I wouldn't worry about your TA it is a buffer for your PH. So if PH is staying in range, I wouldn't mess with TA.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Recommended levels for vinyl pools is 50-90+. This is per the chart in pool school. Pool School - Recommended Levels
    How is your PH pretty stable? If the PH is stable I would think there is not a need to adjust your TA. Maybe I am missing something?
    24 ft round AG 12,700 gal. vinyl
    Doughboy Sequel II Rotary DE filter
    TF-100 test kit. 1st full season

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm glad he asked first!

Also even if you did want to raise TA to 120 (which you shouldn't need to) it's always best to make changes (add chemicals 1/2 dose at a time at the very most) in increments
    so you don't accidentally end up with a much higher than anticipated level change.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I got the 120 recommendation from my test kit (OREQ TK400 -- not recommended here because it doesn't test CYA). Glad to see that the recommendation here is 50-90, so I am already in range. Whew. I'll go by Pool School recs henceforth!

PH is fine now (about 7.6) but it does seem to move a lot, although I don't have enough experience to know what constitutes unstable PH. (I see swings of maybe 0.4 over the course of a month.)

My real (next) problem, which I'll address in a separate thread, has to do with FC.
    IG, vinyl (27 mil), 12,000 G, Apr 2016, OREQ TK400 test kit
    Pentair Tagelus sand filter, Intelliflow variable speed pump, automatic cl/br feeder
    solar bubble pool cover, full sun ~8 hrs/d, water temp 79-84 F May-Oct
    municipal water supply has low nitrates (<0.4 ppm), sulfates, turbidity, TDS
    don't know about phosphates, but suspect they are low (no agriculture around)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If your PH isn't moving enough to require aeration or borax to raise it......or muratic acid to lower it, you shouldn't need to focus too much on TA. If your PH were high and creeping back up constantly after adding muratic acid (MA) and your TA was high......then.....it would be worth a look at lowering your TA. All of which can also depend on how you are chlorinating too.

But, as a rule of thumb......if your PH is in the happy zone, don't worry too much about adjusting TA.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

If your pH is only swinging about 0.4 a month that's pretty good- and hence why if your TA is around 80 you don't need to do anything to increase that number.

Test kits have some different recommendations as do pool stores and that is why we always suggest to follow the TFP recommendations. It avoids confusion.

If you want to put another question about FC keep it to this one thread it will make it easier for everyone to follow and link all the info up.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

My PH rises very slowly since my TA has dropped to 75.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are following TFP recommendations, disregard any other recommendations (FC levels, TA levels, etc.) You can't do both. But it seems that you have that figured out by now!

As for the TA, my TA usually sits around 100 (that's above suggested levels), but my pH level stays locked on 7.6 pretty well throughout the season. So I don't mess with the TA at all. I figure my pH likes my TA at that level, so why disrupt the love!!

GC

EDIT: I feel I should add to this for clarification. My first few years of TFP, I was absorbed with every measurement being in suggested range. So I would lower my TA. Of course my pH would then creep back up (but within acceptable levels), but the pH was susceptable to more variation and swings. So now I don't bother with the TA at all. My pH very rarely needs adjustment.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit