I need help.. major algae issue

May 28, 2016
Fullerton, CA
I made the mistake of not properly balancing my pool from the start due to not having my test kit and once I got it is pushed it off because the pool looked great... huge mistake. Is was only a matter days before the algae took over. I have decided to start over and have drained pool with the exception of about 4 inches. But that 4 inches in nasty green/brown water.... I have started to refill the pool but not sure how to get rid of the algae / green brown water... I have a swg and apparently I didn't have enough salt in the pool in addition not balancing. Where do I go from here? I not a dumb person but good lord that manual with the test kit is written in Greek. The lid is much easier to understand now that I have taken the time to read it. Any help would be much appreciated.

ABC'S of Pool Water Chemistry. Pool Math. How to SLAM. All can be found in Pool School which is upper right button at top of each page.

do you need to fill the pool up in order for the filtration/circulation to work? You won't need the SWG to run during the SLAM, but you can save some time and bleach if you can leave some significant gallons out of the pool until the algae is gone.

There may be residual algae that would need to be attacked after fill up, but if you can get 90% of the way there....

I have the K-2006 and have never used it so I have a full kit. Pool is about half full. After I made my post I went to pool school and read about slamming. I noticed it said to test water several times throughout the day.. I work 10-12 a day and will only be able to test unless I wait until my next day which is Monday... how long does the slamming process normally take?

Buckeye chris.... are you saying hat I do NOT need circulation to slam the pool?

I also planned on taking the time with the pool less than full to hard plumbed it.. I've noticed a couple threads on hard plumbing that I will be reviewing

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all very much for help.. it's is much appreciated

You should circulate and filter the water. You'll want your pH around 7.2 to start the SLAM and at least 30ppm of CYA in the pool. Use Pool Math to calculate how much of what you should be adding you the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will need more reagents for your kit. I have the same kit and have had 2 algae outbreaks. You will use alot of the chlorine test reagents. Order them now and order the big 8oz bottles. They won't go to waste. Also, in the future, don't drain the pool. The SLAM process and getting the water clear again is not a difficult process, it is just a timely process. Drained or not, you will be brushing the pool completely anyway. When things like this happen you should post here with pics and test results and wait for these brilliant folks to respond. The next thing you should do is heed their advice. And avoid the pool store for treatment advice at all cost.

Yeah this place and the folks are amazing.

So I just went home on my lunch break to find my green swamp is no longer a green swamp and I haven't put a single chemical in the pool. I had planned to slam it tomorrow. It is now cloudy but not green at all. All I did was refill it yesterday. Use the test kit for the first time and this is what I have come up with

pH- 7.9
TA- 230
CH- 300
Cya- less than 30ppm

Did the chlorine test twice and I will assume I did it wrong twice or I am just missing something because there was no change in color.

Be was up all night reading pool school, forum's etc. Educating myself and everything tells me my pool should not be blue right now.. please help me understand.... is it possible there is that much chlorine in my drinking water?

Did it turn pink after putting in powder? If not, no chlorine. Put in what pool math says now. Did you add CYA to get to 30?

If you don't have CYA in, the sun will eat up the chlorine faster than you can put it in.

Started SLAMing... heregardless are first test results

Good morning Ya'll....

I started SLAMing my pool yesterday evening and this morning I have my first test results. Before I get to them I have to say I madever what I believe to a small mistake... I wasn't exactly sure how much chlorine I needed to add to start so I dumped 2 gallons right off the bat.. everything said hit it hard so I did. Itest the Fc last night and obviously i didnt get a result because it as well above 50 and i didnt want to run out of reagent with a lot of testing still to be done. I let it filter over night and tested this morning.

Fc-36
Cc-1
pH- 7.8
TA-500+
CYA-60

I didn't have time to test the TA a second time to make sure I didn't do something wrong but that just doesn't seem right.

What is wrong with the TA and do I need to be concerned? Will it delay the SLAM?

Thank you for your help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.