Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating Pool Volume

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating Pool Volume

I'm having trouble estimating pool size.

I have an "oblong" shaped pool that looks much like the example at: Pool Volume Calculator | PENTAIR

A (width a) = 15'
    B (width b) = 13'
    C (length) = 30'

Deep side is around 6 feet. The other half of the pool is a beach entry ramp.
    Phoenix AZ: 8,000 gallon IG Pebbletec salt water pool, Triton 2 Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump, intellichlor SWG, AG hottub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculating Pool Volume

I have found much more accuracy by way of adding chemicals then noting the test results after 30 minute to 1 hour of pump run time.

My pool is similar ish in dimensions but a pear/capsule shape.

If you came to 13,000 gallons by your estimate, then a half gallon of 8.25% bleach added to the pool, should yield a free chlorine
    increase of 4 to 4.5 ppm.

I got this by putting that into pool math to confirm.

I knew I was close to 13k though from when I did a fresh fill and did the math to fill a 5 gallon bucket with the water bib
    open all the way.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I don't want to sound dense but why not just plug your numbers into it ??

Should be in the neighborhood of 11 or 12K gal depending on what you think the average is on the shallow end.

Once you start making chemical additions you can tell if you're a little high or low depending on if you undershoot or overshoot your target goal. You need to be very accurate with your calculations and measuring until you message that capacity up or down to the point that you hit your goal (or close) all the time.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

When I plug numbers in I get 12.7k I wasn't sure when considering the beach entrance. I'll pay attention to the testing changes as I run them.

Thank you
    Phoenix AZ: 8,000 gallon IG Pebbletec salt water pool, Triton 2 Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump, intellichlor SWG, AG hottub.

5. Back To Top    #5

Josh:

I understand the challenge of an "odd shaped" pool! I calculated mine in two ways: 1) the amount of time used to flush the pool with a pump that discharged at 60 gpm, and 2) running some averages to calculate volume (a good test of my geometry recall!). In each case I came up with about 30K gallons. I then made a few adjustments with chemicals against the Pool Math calculator and got results that were very close when using the 30K value for my volume. In lieu of anything better, I figure I can stay with my 30K number.....hope you find the same to be true!
    BNilsen2693 -- 30K Gallon In-ground , Pebble Tec, 55' at the longest, 24' at the widest, 8' at the deepest, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Polaris Sweeper running off a booster pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have the time and don't mind using up a lot of TA reagent, this method is actually quite precise -

A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates