Rookie needs help!

Jul 20, 2015
Franklin, VA
Hey ya'll. Thanks in advance for the help. I started last season with this pool an had decent luck with it. This year I opened it an looked great....for a week! Friend suggested simple blue pool manager. I tried it. Everything but chlorine was in check. Could not get chlorine to come up. Well then come the algae bloom..big time. I did not have a good test kit so I figured there was no need to post on here shooting in the dark with shady test results so I read an just started shocking an vacuuming an scrubbing. Two weeks have passed an water has cleared up. I just received the taylor k-2006 an tested water last night. Here are the results.
Fc- 4.8
Cc- 0.04
Ph- 7.0
Alk- 70
Ch- 110
Cya- 100
Not looking so good. Any help on which way to go. I have lost trust in pool store. They sold me some phosphate remover telling me that's why I had algae so I'm turning to ya'll for help.

Oh that's unfortunate about using SimpleBlue Pool Manager.... that stuff contains copper. Copper in pool water causes stains to pool surfaces and green hair on blonds.

We rarely trust pool store tests, but in this case it might be useful to ask them to run a test for copper on your water. Actually since I see you're on well water, ask them to test for "metals" so that it includes copper and lead tests.

Gotta know what you're dealing with...y'know?

Yes! That would help both the CYA and any copper (assuming your well water doesn't just replace it?)

First you need to take half tap water and half pool water (equal parts) and mix them, then use this water to re-test your CYA and double the results. Your CYA may be much higher than 100 but since the tube only goes that high we can't know unless we do the dilution test.

Then you can use PoolMath to guide how much water you need to replace.

:wave: To TFP Charlie

We've all been there. Having someone hand us a 25-50 dollar bottle of "try this".

We're here to help. Let us know how the CYA test went.

That's correct. You'll want to consider draining half the water to get it down to a more manageable 50 if possible.

The pool is safe to swim in when:
1. You can see the bottom.
2. pH is between 7.2 and 7.8
3. Chlorine is above minimum and below SLAM level for your CYA level.

In order to SLAM, with 100 CYA you'll need to maintain 39 FC to get rid of that algae. Minimum, which you should never go below, is 8ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey ya'll. Well I drained about half the water an refilled. I did add liquid chlorine last night before I had to leave for work. Just tested this morning.
Ph- 7.8
Fc- 6.6
Cc- 0.4
Ta- 160
Cya- 40
Lemme know what yall think.Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A quick note on the FAS-DPD chlorine test - you can save a lot of reagent by using a 10ml sample and dividing the number of drops by 2. The 25ml sample is far more accuracy than we need and you'll burn through your reagents very quickly that way. :)

Your TA is high, but that will down over time as you add muriatic acid to bring down the pH. So given that you were needing a SLAM, your next step will be to lower the pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid, and then raise the FC to 16, holding it there by checking it and raising it back to 16 as many times a day as you can each day, and following SLAM procedures: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Hey ya'll got the pool right for awhile. Been keeping fc where the pool math said to. Last night it was a 5. This evening I have algae on the bottom. What's up. I need to test again but was wondering what's going on if I'm keeping fc where I am suppose to

I've been testing daily. Had slammed week before last. Pool cleared. Passed overnight free chlorine test. So was letting fc drift back down. Was dropping 1 whole number a day. Stopped around 5. Pool math said 3 to 7 was normal range so I thought I was good. Will get a full test to you soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.