Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rookie needs help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rookie needs help!

Hey ya'll. Thanks in advance for the help. I started last season with this pool an had decent luck with it. This year I opened it an looked great....for a week! Friend suggested simple blue pool manager. I tried it. Everything but chlorine was in check. Could not get chlorine to come up. Well then come the algae bloom..big time. I did not have a good test kit so I figured there was no need to post on here shooting in the dark with shady test results so I read an just started shocking an vacuuming an scrubbing. Two weeks have passed an water has cleared up. I just received the taylor k-2006 an tested water last night. Here are the results.
    Fc- 4.8
    Cc- 0.04
    Ph- 7.0
    Alk- 70
    Ch- 110
    Cya- 100
    Not looking so good. Any help on which way to go. I have lost trust in pool store. They sold me some phosphate remover telling me that's why I had algae so I'm turning to ya'll for help.
    15,000 gallon AG, Cartridge filter, 2 speed pump, built 4/2015, well water, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rookie needs help!

Phosphate remover isn't the only reason I have lost trust in chemical salesman. I was spending way to much money on what I felt was snake oil but I did not know better. It has been very stressful not knowing what to do.
    15,000 gallon AG, Cartridge filter, 2 speed pump, built 4/2015, well water, Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh that's unfortunate about using SimpleBlue Pool Manager.... that stuff contains copper. Copper in pool water causes stains to pool surfaces and green hair on blonds.

We rarely trust pool store tests, but in this case it might be useful to ask them to run a test for copper on your water. Actually since I see you're on well water, ask them to test for "metals" so that it includes copper and lead tests.

Gotta know what you're dealing with...y'know?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not seeing any stains but I will ask next time I'm there. I am about an hour away from the pool store. Should I turn out some water to get cya down?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes! That would help both the CYA and any copper (assuming your well water doesn't just replace it?)

First you need to take half tap water and half pool water (equal parts) and mix them, then use this water to re-test your CYA and double the results. Your CYA may be much higher than 100 but since the tube only goes that high we can't know unless we do the dilution test.

Then you can use PoolMath to guide how much water you need to replace.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I was afraid the cya was going to go up because when i started shocking when the algae bloom was present I was guessing at how high the free chlorine was.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

To TFP Charlie

We've all been there. Having someone hand us a 25-50 dollar bottle of "try this".

We're here to help. Let us know how the CYA test went.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

These numbers safe to swim?

9. Back To Top    #9

Diluted sample 50% pool water 50% well water. Came up with a cya test result of 50. So cya is 100 in pool correct?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

That's correct. You'll want to consider draining half the water to get it down to a more manageable 50 if possible.

The pool is safe to swim in when:
    1. You can see the bottom.
    2. pH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    3. Chlorine is above minimum and below SLAM level for your CYA level.

In order to SLAM, with 100 CYA you'll need to maintain 39 FC to get rid of that algae. Minimum, which you should never go below, is 8ppm.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

11. Back To Top    #11

Man that sucks. The past 2 weeks working my butt off to get the algae out an now I've gotta drain half out.

12. Back To Top    #12

Live and learn. This is the first pool I have ever tried to manage.

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey ya'll. Well I drained about half the water an refilled. I did add liquid chlorine last night before I had to leave for work. Just tested this morning.
    Ph- 7.8
    Fc- 6.6
    Cc- 0.4
    Ta- 160
    Cya- 40
    Lemme know what yall think.Thanks again.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

A quick note on the FAS-DPD chlorine test - you can save a lot of reagent by using a 10ml sample and dividing the number of drops by 2. The 25ml sample is far more accuracy than we need and you'll burn through your reagents very quickly that way.

Your TA is high, but that will down over time as you add muriatic acid to bring down the pH. So given that you were needing a SLAM, your next step will be to lower the pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid, and then raise the FC to 16, holding it there by checking it and raising it back to 16 as many times a day as you can each day, and following SLAM procedures: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

15. Back To Top    #15

Hey ya'll got the pool right for awhile. Been keeping fc where the pool math said to. Last night it was a 5. This evening I have algae on the bottom. What's up. I need to test again but was wondering what's going on if I'm keeping fc where I am suppose to

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Could we get a full test? How often have you been testing and adding?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

17. Back To Top    #17

I've been testing daily. Had slammed week before last. Pool cleared. Passed overnight free chlorine test. So was letting fc drift back down. Was dropping 1 whole number a day. Stopped around 5. Pool math said 3 to 7 was normal range so I thought I was good. Will get a full test to you soon.

18. Back To Top    #18

I had alot of bathers in the pool and we had alot of rain so I had raised fc to shock level of 16 day before yesterday. So here is a full test this morning.

Fc 12
    Cc .5
    Ph 7.9
    Ta 160
    Ch 50
    Ca 50

19. Back To Top    #19

Bottom has what looks like algae but I can't tell if it is dead algae or live