No Chlorine in Pool - new Salt Equipment

rsj76

Jul 12, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
My husband and I have been battling our pool since May. I just found you guys and I'm hoping to get some insight and figure out what is going on.

Background - This is our second summer in this house. Last summer, the pool was a dream! Little extra maintenance was required. This summer, our cell went bad so we weren't producing chlorine for a while. We now have a new cell and motherboard - so the salt system is practically brand new. Visually, our pool is clear now. We battled algae for a while at the beginning, but things look good now. We also pulled out the cell and visually saw air bubbles - which meant it was working - right?

Our pool NEVER has chlorine in it. We have been dumping 7.5 gal of 10% chlorine in it every few days, but it won't hold. The pool store has been testing it twice a week, and all other numbers appear good to them. I just bought a Taylor test kit and I am waiting for it to arrive, but I was wondering if there was anything I should be doing in the mean time. We figure it has to be a chemical issue since all other pieces of the salt system are new. For reference, here is the last read out from the store.
FC 0
PH 7.6
TA 120
CH 290
CYA 60
Salt 3400

It sounds like I should SLAM it, but I wasn't sure if I should adjust any other numbers before my test kit arrives. Thanks for any advice!

I'd suggest just putting a gallon of bleach in daily until that test kit arrives. Your pool is very large so you want to keep on top of it with the bleach for now.

When you get the test kit bring us back all the results you have. We rarely trust pool store results so I don't want to suggest any changes based on those.

Yip :flower:

Welcome to TFP!

You need to continually add the liquid chlorine to maintain it for now. Add 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine now and test it tomorrow and add enough to raise it up to 7 ppm.

Which Taylor test kit did you buy? If it has the FAS/DPD test for chlorine you will need to do an OCLT to determine if all the algae was killed. I have a strong feeling that it wasn't and the SWG can not keep up with the chlorine demand. You can use the search function for OCLT and the SLAM process to prep you for what might be the next steps.

Turn the SWG on to 100% and post the diagnostic readings and that will tell us if the SWG is producing chlorine.

Here is the Diag data
temp 94
volt 26.2
amps 7.8
percentage 100P
Instant Salinity -3200
Al -0 (stands for AquaRite)
Software Rev. r 1.59
Cell Type t -15

I bought the Taylor K-6000 kit. I also feel like there is some algae left since we can't get the SWG to keep up. We'll see.

Here is the Diag data
temp 94
volt 26.2
amps 7.8
percentage 100P
Instant Salinity -3200
Al -0 (stands for AquaRite)
Software Rev. r 1.59
Cell Type t -15

I bought the Taylor K-6000 kit. I also feel like there is some algae left since we can't get the SWG to keep up. We'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.