Question about steps

May 2, 2016
Marshfield WI
The house I purchased came with an above ground pool and what appear to be a nice set of portable plastic steps for entering and exiting the pool. I found out that that the steps had holes in the side rails and the rails were full of sand and algae. I'm not sure if these steps are suppose to have holes or if the previous owner drilled the holes in. Having holes in the sides seems like poor design since it would let the water sit in the rails and grow algae. This is my first summer with a pool and I'm wondering if it is normal to have holes in the side rails of portable steps or if I should use some silicone and plug the holes... or perhaps replace the steps which I'd prefer not to.

The house I purchased came with an above ground pool and what appear to be a nice set of portable plastic steps for entering and exiting the pool. I found out that that the steps had holes in the side rails and the rails were full of sand and algae. I'm not sure if these steps are suppose to have holes or if the previous owner drilled the holes in. Having holes in the sides seems like poor design since it would let the water sit in the rails and grow algae. This is my first summer with a pool and I'm wondering if it is normal to have holes in the side rails of portable steps or if I should use some silicone and plug the holes... or perhaps replace the steps which I'd prefer not to.

All plastic AG steps and ladders I've seen have holes in them to weigh them down, so that they don't float.

I have a Confer ladder and fill the holes with water. At the end of the season, before winterizing the pool, I pull them out, drain them, pour some bleach water with a drop of Dawn in it and squish it around and then rinse, dry and store. I bought them used on Craigslist and they are still holding up well and look great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.