Life After AA treatment... cloudy water help

Perhaps I need a ten-step program (haha).

I had some pretty bad stains on my pool liner and determined it was a metal stain. I followed the instructions on the back of the bottle and got the chlorine down under 1 and the pH to 7.3. I then removed the stains on my vinyl pool liner with 4 lbs of Sparkle brand "Stainoff" six days ago and 1.75lbs of Natural Chemistry's "Stain Free Extra Strength" 5 days ago. It worked like a charm and removed the stains. Per the instructions, I back-washed, rinsed and waited the prescribed 24 hours to reintroduce chlorine to the pool. So, 3 days ago I placed three chlorine pucks in the heyward chlorinator near my filter and went to bed. 2 days ago I woke up to a very very cloudy (but very blue) pool. I tested the water and saw that the chlorine was at 0. I stayed patient and avoided shocking the pool. When nothing changed 1 day ago, I went and got my water tested at the local store. Here are those readings:

Saturation Index: -0.2
TDS: 1400
CYA: 145
TC: 0
FC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 192
Adj TA: 148
Tot Hardness: 117

All in all, the water looked good and seemed to just need a jolt of chlorine. I decided to back wash my pool again and then shock using 4 lbs of hypo-calc at dusk and run the filter all night. This morning I woke up to a very mild change. I did a self test and the chlorine is just under 2 ppm (which I like) but the cloudiness is still very much there. I just spoke with my wife and she told me that the water seems to have a great blue hue but is still "way too cloudy". I cant decide if I should just stay patient and shock again tonight or if another course of action is better.

What do you recommend my next move to be?

If your CYA is really 145, I would consider a partial or full drain. Your CYA/FC ratio is way off, you need to add chlorine. I would also recommend you buy your own test kit, one of the 2 they recommend on this site.

I know nothing of the AA treatment, so this is just my suggestion, unless the AA has some other issue that is a factor.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, we definitely recommend testing your own water. I use a TF--100 from TFTestkits.net. We don't trust pool store test results. We've seen more inaccurate test results from pool stores than good ones. You probably want your CYA to be 40 or 50. The trichlor pucks will continue to add more CYA. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Cal-hypo can cloud the water for a couple of days. AA will use some chlorine.

More here on AA treatments, Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.