new pool (to us) owner

Jul 5, 2016
Tulsa ok
Hello and thanks for allowing me to peruse your site. I am a newbie in every sense of the word. We upgraded from a 15' Intex blow-up ring pool.
We were given a 25 year old Doughboy 21' abg pool this spring and have finally gotten all of the site work done and the pool is complete.
A neighbor has had this pool in his yard for 25 years and all of his kids and grandkids have "outgrown it. He told us to come get it and we could have it all.
Takedown took 3 of us 3 hours. Not bad for amateurs.
There was only one small hole in the sidewall about 6 inches or so up from the bottom from a rock thrown from the mower. We unrolled it all, patched the hole and covered in 4 layers of duct tape. Primered the whole inside and rolled it back up until it was time to build.
I replaced the 3 bottom plates that were badly rusted and 1 "track" piece from the bottom that had rusted through.
Once all the rest of the structural parts were cold galvanized the real work started.
4.5 tons of sand and lots of sweat and tears and we were ready for the liner.
The unibead liner is the only way to go. So simple and easy and the pattern we picked looks great.
New Hayward 1.5 hp pump and 24" sand filter does the job exceptionally well.
Now we are on to the deck. Those rickety ladders don't quite cut it. 4' x 4' landing and a set of stairs will do nicely.
Any advice or tips are gladly welcome!

Sorry for the long intro, but I wanted to give the whole situation.

Ready for all of the ridicule and hand spanking.
So far all we have done is shock it and add chlorine tabs to a floater. We use the little test strips from Leslies Pools here in town and have had no problems. All of the numbers are in the correct range and the water has been crystal clear and doesn't burn eyes or smell like chlorine. Run the pump about 4 hours a day to turn the water volume over.

Ready for all of the ridicule and hand spanking.
So far all we have done is shock it and add chlorine tabs to a floater. We use the little test strips from Leslies Pools here in town and have had no problems. All of the numbers are in the correct range and the water has been crystal clear and doesn't burn eyes or smell like chlorine. Run the pump about 4 hours a day to turn the water volume over.

Hey, no ridicule or spanking from me. When problems develop we'll be here to help you figure them out.