Help with measuring chlorine when high

Jul 12, 2016
Mount Kisco, NY
Hi - I am new to the whole pool thing and have an algae issue, I tested my water and found CYA to be above 100, so decided to do a partial drain (3 times) as I was nervous about liner. My new results are as follows:

CYA - 65
FC - 3.0
CC - 0.5
Ph 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 130

based on my 20,000 gallon pool - I figure I need to raise chlorine to 26ppm to shock - which I have done (I used 6 gallons of 8.25% bleach). My question is - how is best way to check chlorine levels? It seems it would need 52 drops of the reagent to test!!

Thanks for any insight!

Drew

It is why slamming with high CYA is a PITA. Get the 2 oz bottle of the 0871. It's like $11.
There is a 5 mL version of the FC test, one drop = 1 ppm, but the accuracy is lower. If going that route, you'd probably want 30 FC as your target to account for the lower accuracy.

Then use the 10 mL test for the OCLT.

One more question - pool is already much better and water is just a little "hazy"...but very blue and I can clearly see the bottom again. When I have to pass the 3 tests - does "clear water" mean crystal clear? I plan to do the OCLT tonight. The CC has never been above 0.5 since I started this, which I thought was odd.

Yep, crystal clear. You'll hear people use references like a) tell is a quarter is heads or tails in the deep end or b) tell if the screws on the drain are philips or flat head.