Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC 40 reads low salt; Pentair told me to bring down phosphates?

1. Back To Top    #1

IC 40 reads low salt; Pentair told me to bring down phosphates?

My water is perfectly balanced.
    Salt: 3400
    FC: 4
    Alk: 80
    CYA: 60
    PH: 7.6
    Borate: 30

Phosphates are high (300) but I usually do not care since everything else is balanced. The same thing happened last year and Pentair sent a new IC 40 (less than a year old). This year my IC 40 just started reading low salt which is inaccurate.

Called Pentair and they said to add phosphate remover as it can impact the cell's ability to read the salt level properly. Does this make sense?
    24,500 Gallon (640 SF) Inground Gunite Salt Water Pool w/ Diamond Brite Midnight Blue Plaster. Pentair IC 40 Chlorine Generating System. Hayward 60 DE Filter. Jandy Aqualink Remote System. Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner. 50 SF Spa with waterfall feature
    Hayward 440,000 BTU Heater. Two Colorlogic LED pool lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IC 40 reads low salt; Pentair told me to bring down phosphates?

How are you testing? Just want to be sure those are accurate measurements.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post

Phosphates are high (300) but I usually do not care since everything else is balanced. The same thing happened last year and Pentair sent a new IC 40 (less than a year old). This year my IC 40 just started reading low salt which is inaccurate.

Called Pentair and they said to add phosphate remover as it can impact the cell's ability to read the salt level properly. Does this make sense?
    What is the SWG's salinity reading?

Phosphates do not make SWG's read low salt and it's their way to pass on troubleshooting the system without needing to be there to actually find out what is wrong with the system.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Salt is reading 3400 PPM.....Exactly what Pentair claims is optimal. I am going to call back and get a different rep. Last year, had the same issue and they just replaced it. I have not had much luck with SWG. Third year of this new pool.
    24,500 Gallon (640 SF) Inground Gunite Salt Water Pool w/ Diamond Brite Midnight Blue Plaster. Pentair IC 40 Chlorine Generating System. Hayward 60 DE Filter. Jandy Aqualink Remote System. Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner. 50 SF Spa with waterfall feature

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you tried cleaning the cell?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Have you tried cleaning the cell?
    When I first opened the pool mid-April, I cleaned the cell with 100% vinegar as recommended by the pool opening company. I have not cleaned it since then. I am not entirely certain how to clean with muriatic acid without making a mess of things?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    How are you testing? Just want to be sure those are accurate measurements.

GC
    I have a Taylor commercial grade test kit. I also tested at Leslie's pools as requested by the Pentair technician who apparently felt that Leslie's would be more accurate. My results comported with those of Leslie's.

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to remove the cell and inspect it for scale.

If the cell has scale then you should plug one end of the cell and use a 4:1 mix of water to acid to clean the cell.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post

So, I added a phosphate remover and the SWG started claiming appropriate salt levels? Go figure.

Any chemists who can explain what is going on? Coincidence? A chemical reaction?

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm going with coincidence.

The cell might be going out when it reverses polarity. One side of the cell might work fine but when the cell reverses its polarity it will show low salt. Try to find out the cycle time for the IC-40 and keep a watch on it for when it switches the polarity.

It would still be a good idea to see if there is any scale inside the cell.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm going with coincidence.

The cell might be going out when it reverses polarity. One side of the cell might work fine but when the cell reverses its polarity it will show low salt. Try to find out the cycle time for the IC-40 and keep a watch on it for when it switches the polarity.

It would still be a good idea to see if there is any scale inside the cell.
    Okay...Just removed SWG and will use muriatic acid solution and see what happens.

11. Back To Top    #11

I forgot ask--How long should one let the muriatic acid solution sit on the scales? I let it sit for about 2 minutes, re-installed the SWG, and it now says it reads a fine salt level. I will update tomorrow because it could be oscillating between low and good salt levels as it seemed to do after I added phosphate remover.

12. Back To Top    #12

The time depends on how much scale there is inside the cell. If there isn't any scaling then it should not be cleaned. Any heavy buildup should be first removed with a wooden object to prevent scratching off the coatings on the cell plates.

13. Back To Top    #13

The time depends on how much scale there is inside the cell. If there isn't any scaling then it should not be cleaned. Any heavy buildup should be first removed with a wooden object to prevent scratching off the coatings on the cell plates.
    There was no evidence of visible scaling (or not bubbling) so I let sit for about two minutes.

So far this AM the SWG is indicating a good level of salt. Let's see if it continues to read such or if it oscillates again in a few days.

Could have less to do with scaling (new SWG last year) than with a malfunction in the SWG itself