Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWG bit the dust

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG bit the dust

I went out last night to turn the pool off and noticed that my SWG had no lights on it. I checked the receptacle to make sure it hadn't been tripped. What's the normal life on these? The pool isn't that old. If it's gone, I'll have to just close the pool up for the year because I don't have the money to replace it at this time.

Any suggestions on anything I may have missed? It's the Jandy AquaSeries Ei Pure Salt System
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Jandy AquaSeries Ei Pure Salt System
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG bit the dust

Just use chlorine bleach. You'll be good to go.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

The Jandy literature doesn't say but a typical cell life is about 5 years. However, if the cell was exclusively run using TFP methodology, you should get longer than that. It really depends on the history of the cell, how well it was maintained, etc. The design life from most manufacturers is 10,000 hours of chlorine production time but that figure can vary a lot and is really just an optimal value.

I agree, if the cell is dead just switch to bleach. Closing a pool in the middle of the summer will just create a green swamp.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. So just forget about replacing it and use bleach instead? Sounds good. Is that a permanent resolution or is that just temporary until I can buy a new one?
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a SWG when I first had our pool installed. After the second time it quit working (maybe 4-5 years) I started using granulated trichlor which worked well until the stabilizer level got too high. That is when I found TFP and learned to manage the water correctly. I have been very happy using Clorox, baking soda, and muriatic acid since then. I was in a SWG pool at a hotel last weekend and found that I like my fresh water pool MUCH better.
    20 year old 19K gallon IG vinyl pool (new liner in 2014)
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump, VariFlow XL valve, sand filter
    AquaGenie skimmer, TF-100 test kit
    TroubleFree since 2014!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Ok. So just forget about replacing it and use bleach instead? Sounds good. Is that a permanent resolution or is that just temporary until I can buy a new one?
    That's depends on your preferences, you can manually add bleach every day or so, till you save to fix/replace existing system, or get some automation to add chlorine. You have options. You may want to review pool school care for pool section.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

It certainly can be permanent if you want it to be. As a matter of fact (this would probably make a good poll), most members here probably add their chlorine manually. You can save over time to get yourself a new SWG, or automator. But manually adding bleach works 100% fine. Other methods are for convenience. I wouldn't even think about shutting down the pool for the summer! It's an easy solution. Just make sure you use plain, unscented bleach. Check the concentration, plug it into pool math, and there ya go! Enjoy!

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Dumb question, but: does this model have a fuse that can blow? I had a similar problem with mine, but it just needed to be cleaned and the fuse replaced.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    Dumb question, but: does this model have a fuse that can blow? I had a similar problem with mine, but it just needed to be cleaned and the fuse replaced.
    I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that. I going to look for my manual after work
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Note that with your SWG off line you won't be adding acid as much, so depending on what you used before you don't want to stock up.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

11. Back To Top    #11

It has two fuses that I have found. I saw one that was blown, so I ordered some more. I replaced that one, turned it on, and the second fuse blew. I replaced the second fuse, turned it on, and they both blew. I noticed that the 2nd one I replaced did not click all the way into place. Could that have been why it blew? I have 3 more, but wanted to post up the situation before just throwing those in there and blowing them too...suggestions??
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

12. Back To Top    #12

It has two fuses that I have found. I saw one that was blown, so I ordered some more. I replaced that one, turned it on, and the second fuse blew. I replaced the second fuse, turned it on, and they both blew. I noticed that the 2nd one I replaced did not click all the way into place. Could that have been why it blew? I have 3 more, but wanted to post up the situation before just throwing those in there and blowing them too...suggestions??
    Add bleach for now while you're dealing with SWG. Post the pic of the problem, someone might recognize it. Do you have one of recommended test kits? You'd need to monitor your water more closely without SWG.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    Add bleach for now while you're dealing with SWG. Post the pic of the problem, someone might recognize it. Do you have one of recommended test kits? You'd need to monitor your water more closely without SWG.
    The pic of the problem would be a blown fuse. I have been using the recommended test kits for years now. I'm experienced with the chemical side of the pool. I am looking for suggestions with the SWG blowing fuses...
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

14. Back To Top    #14

The pic of the problem would be a blown fuse. I have been using the recommended test kits for years now. I'm experienced with the chemical side of the pool. I am looking for suggestions with the SWG blowing fuses...
    I see- you just looking for someone with exactly same problem? Good luck.

SWG is just electrolysis cell, its power circuit should have enough built in protection to survive shorts etc. The problem most likely is not related to the cell itself especially seeing how quickly they blow. Since you're not telling more details it's hard to make anything out of it. In general the more readily something blows the easier the fix. It's those random ones which drive you nuts.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    I see- you just looking for someone with exactly same problem? Good luck.

SWG is just electrolysis cell, its power circuit should have enough built in protection to survive shorts etc. The problem most likely is not related to the cell itself especially seeing how quickly they blow. Since you're not telling more details it's hard to make anything out of it. In general the more readily something blows the easier the fix. It's those random ones which drive you nuts.
    Listen man, no need to be smart. I may not post as much, but I've been around the site longer than you. I understand the chemical side very well as I never have any issues with the exception of this SWG. If you would actually read the thread, you would see that the guy I quoted had the exact same problem. I know nothing about electronics, but if I need to take a picture of the circuit board and the blown fuse, I will. Not sure how it's going to help without being able to actually go through the circuits. I have described the problem, I have tried a recommendation, and I have described what happens. I really don't know what else you want me to do.
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

16. Back To Top    #16

My apologies.

17. Back To Top    #17

Did you clean the cell?

50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

18. Back To Top    #18

Did you clean the cell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I call myself cleaning it, but I guess I can try that again. Are you talking specifically about the circuit board and internals?
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

19. Back To Top    #19

I call myself cleaning it, but I guess I can try that again. Are you talking specifically about the circuit board and internals?
    No, the actual inside of the SWG. Sometimes it can get severe enough scale to short out and blow the fuse - you have to clean that with diluted muriatic acid, or at least inspect it to see if there is scale. If you've already inspected that, then you have a short somewhere that you're going to have to hunt down.

20. Back To Top    #20

No, the actual inside of the SWG. Sometimes it can get severe enough scale to short out and blow the fuse - you have to clean that with diluted muriatic acid, or at least inspect it to see if there is scale. If you've already inspected that, then you have a short somewhere that you're going to have to hunt down.

Oh, I gotcha. No, I actually did not clean that. I just blew out any dirt, dust, or debris from the circuit board. I will clean that tomorrow and try again. I guess I need to go ahead and order a few more fuses until I can find the issue. Thanks!
    35000 gallons
    Hayward Sand Filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    Pentair Superflow 1hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast