Hello TFP - already need to slam I think

Jbradford731

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Cypress, TX
Good morning folks,

Have not been able to get my relatively new pool to keep chlorine. Installed this thing beginning in March, just before all the torrential rains we had. Was not finished until almost June. Not sure if pool got proper start up or not. Father in Law is a bit proponent of TFP. Sounds much better to me than buying chemicals every time I go to a pool store.

Got a Taylor K-2006 test kit. Pool has been relatively clear, but gets cloudy with any swimmer load. Have been to this point using pucks and have even run the chlorinator on the highest setting. No chlorine. Shocked on Thursday night of last week with about 3 lbs of 65 Hypo. Had pucks in chlorinator running on 4 setting since.

Ran numbers last night no Chlorine. Added amount of 8.25% bleach per the Pool Math Calculator. Waited about an hour or so and tested. Last night at 1145 my readings were:

FC: 5.5
CC: .5
pH: 8.0+
TA: 110
CH: 250
CYA: 43ish

I should have added acid last night but was more concerned with doing the Overnight test to confirm if I have stuff living in pool. Actually starting to see some patches of discoloration on plaster. Brushing moves them, but obviously makes the pool cloudy and murky.

Tested this morning. Confirmed something living in pool...

FC: .5
CC: .5
pH: 7.9 or 8.0
Acid domand took 2 drops to change.
TA: 110
CH: 250
CYA: 45ish

Just added a little over a quart of 31% acid to bring pH down.

Few questions:

1. Can I add the 4 gallons of bleach to begin my SLAM immediately? I will not be able to be home again today to test the water until very late tonight.

2. Should I wait to start the SLAM on Thursday when I can possibly work from Home?

Other issue. We have just 2 days ago started with the landscaping in the back. Should be finished by weekend, but there is sand in the pool, dirt flying around. Would that have any effect on the water chemistry or SLAM process - necessitate delaying?

Look forward to any guidance and contributing to this great forum in the very near future.

Brad

Hello Brad and welcome to TFP! :wave: To answer your questions:
1 - Yes, add the bleach
2 - No. While being away will allow the FC to drop, you can adjust when you return. Best to start now.

As for the landscaping, it may add to the SLAM load a little, but not as bad as doing nothing. Don't wait.

Great to have you with us!

Thanks Tx Splash. Ends up that I'm not going out of town tomorrow. So I'll likely be able to start my slam tonight.

Interesting note: I tested overall chlorine with my Pentair kit this morning because it takes 10 seconds and it appears the pool held a considerable amount of the chlorine I poured in yesterday the yellow was off the chart.

I'll take a proper reading this afternoon with the Taylor test kit and see where things stand.

One last question: if the pool is clear there's no safety issue just because there's a high chlorine level correct? In other words the wife and kids can swim in the pool correct? Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.