Air bubbles coming out of Polaris return

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I've been noticing that I get small amounts of air bubbles from my Polaris (pressure side) return. I cannot see any visible bubbles from either of my other 3 returns. the bubble are there even when the Polaris booster pump is not turned on. I've attached a picture of my setup. You can see that there is a dedicated return line from the Polaris booster pump. The booster pump sucks the water from the main return (which goes to all 3 pool returns). I know that return line bubbles usually mean some air getting in on the suction side, but if that were the case, then wouldn't I see the bubbles at all the returns?

My first hunch is to check the suction side connection of the booster. Both at the booster connection and where it connects to the main pool return line. But there are no visible leaks at either connection and I know if I take it apart, it might make things worse :-(

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2012-09-21 22.47.18.jpg
    2012-09-21 22.47.18.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 32
My first hunch is to check the suction side connection of the booster. Both at the booster connection and where it connects to the main pool return line. But there are no visible leaks at either connection
I would still look there. But when you say there are no visible leaks, remember if the system is running you probably won't see a leak. It's pulling air "in", so you shouldn't see any drips there. Have you tried the water hose trick or wrapping some of the booster connections with plastic wrap? See if that helps you ID a potential air leak perhaps?

I would still look there. But when you say there are no visible leaks, remember if the system is running you probably won't see a leak. It's pulling air "in", so you shouldn't see any drips there. Have you tried the water hose trick or wrapping some of the booster connections with plastic wrap? See if that helps you ID a potential air leak perhaps?

Thanks....yeah, i agree now that you explain it that way. I will try the water hose test first. Given the symptoms, it makes sense that the air is coming in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.