Concrete Pool Bottom Settling Issues - Concrete not all poured on same day

Jul 11, 2016
Midland, NC
Hi My name is Jill. We recently added a 18x36 vinyl liner pool to our backyard. We have had it for 2 years and have had multiple issues with the original construction of the pool and the stamped decking. We love our pool design and swim up bar, but have recently noticed new issues. We have a concrete pool floor that was not poured all on the same day. During construction 3 quarters of the floor was poured one day and the last quarter was poured another day (see photos below). This pool season we have noticed that the concrete had begun settling exactly where the two separate pours occurred. You can easily feel a difference when walking and now is causing discoloration on the liner where it is uneven. I am scared that this will get worse and will void the warranty on the liner. Is this something to be concerned about and something that will continue to get worse? We have had concrete issues with the decking/stamped concrete since day one due to parts being poured and different times and color not matching. Our contractor painted those areas, which has resulted in chipping and looks horrible (see below). Our contractor has not fixed any of the decking issues and if the new issue with the pool bottom will get worse, we would like to get quotes on all necessary/required repairs to get all issues fixed and take our contractor to court if he will not pay for the repairs. Any guidance or help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Our experience has been terrible and we would not wish it on our worst enemy. For you know of any reputable pool contractors that do renovations or these types of repairs in the Charlotte, NC area please provide their names, as we do not know who to trust.

Thank you,
Jill

Attachments

• Discoloration line 2 sm.jpg
    Discoloration line 2 sm.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Discoloration line from settling sm.jpg
    Discoloration line from settling sm.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Concrete Floor 2.jpg
    Concrete Floor 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Wrinkles in Pool Steps sm.jpg
    Wrinkles in Pool Steps sm.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 56
  • Sidwalk Paint Chipping sm.jpg
    Sidwalk Paint Chipping sm.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 55
Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here and sorry to hear of all these troubles. My answer will give you a bump since your question is already a couple of days old.

If it were me, I'd find a reputable engineer with swimming pool experience because if you're considering legal action you'll need an expert on your side anyway. Hopefully there's some people here with local contacts for you. I've seen a particular consulting firm recommended for California, and someone at that firm might know someone for your area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.