What do you do with all the bleach bottles?

I just put them in the recycle bin usually. Now I have retained a couple to put water in for freezing large blocks of ice for ice chests, but since we have curbside recycling, I'll generally just put them in the bin.

I know...I wish I had a novel discovery to make them more useful. I've been trying to get my local pool store guy to start stocking bulk sodium hypochlorite so I could go the refillable carboy route. No luck thus far though.

I cannot offer an answer, but I would like to nominate this as the best question ever posted on this board.
:goodjob:
I've been putting mine in the recycle bin. it gets a little embarrasing after an aglae problem or major shock treatment.

bhunt99 said:
Trash, recycle? Has anyone figured out something useful or creative to do with them?

I found an innovative way to keep my winter cover on...I saw that pool stores sell these vinyl pillows that you fill with water and attach to the top rail and lay on top of the winter cover. This keeps the wind from getting up under the cover and blowing it around or off. I have a security fence around the outside of my pool so on every other upright, I tie a bleach bottle half full of water to a small two to three foot piece of rope and lay it on the cover. This coupled with three to four clips on each section of pool wall made for a very strong winter cover. We had winds at one point this winter that blew up to 70 miles an hour and knocked down sever tree limbs on my house...but the cover stayed on the pool. This in my opinion works better than hanging water bottles down along the side of the pool because you are actually providing weight on top of the cover not on the sides which causes the cover eyelets to rip. And the cool thing is that when the water in the pool is not frozen, the bottles still float on the surface of the cover.

bhunt99 said:
Trash, recycle? Has anyone figured out something useful or creative to do with them?
I'm not inventive or anything.
I rince with pool water, smash flat (That's FUN!), and place in the recycle tote. If not smashed flat there is no way that the bottles used to start up the pool would fit.

I do have 1 or 2 that I rinsed out thoroughly and cut the bottoms off of to use as grain/food scoops for the many, many animals that we have in and around the house. When you scoop bird seed you can then take the caps off and it makes a self-contained scoop and funnel 8)

bhunt99 said:

piggy300x225.jpg

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf22187099.tip.html

BleachBottleFeeder.jpg

http://www.lauraerickson.com/bird/Species/Finches/PurpleFinch/PUFIGallery.html
1ebf418942dc1fc8edd6d1e95bc452db.jpg

Well, it only takes care of one, but: I cut off the top and bottom and split one opposite the handle to make a guard for using my weed-wacker around young trees that the town put along my road. You can kill a young tree with a weed wacker if you cut a circle through the layer under the bark. It works great.

Great ideas. :) I like the ring around the plant idea. I've lost lots of new trees and shrubs to rabbits eating the bark all the way around. There are now lots of spray paints in stores, just for plastics, to improve aesthetics.

Find someone(s) who has a hobby greenhouse. You can fill them with water, put them on plastic shelves, on sunny wall, to collect heat from sun during day. They then release the heat during night to reduce supplemental heating. Works great especially if you have lots of sunny days in winter. I've also used cheap, black garbage bins for same purpose. Then recycle (bottles only) in spring.

One year before I started smushing them in trash compactor, I took zillions down to road for weekly recycle truck, in clear plastic bags, as is required by our pick-up. I'm talking about twenty 40 gallon bags of recycle (other stuff included as I don't take it down every week). It was so impressive I took pictures. :lol: Looks like the truck couldn't take the very last bag as they left one. Next day the bag disappeared so I'm hoping someone was able to recycle them.

I make a scoop to get the water out of seats when I empty the spa and to get the last little bit that the submersible pump can't get. Very effective and flexible enough that it doesn't catch on the jets or mar the finish. Great for bird seed, dog food, and all other kinds of things. I do, though, like to use a metal one for getting potting soil out of bags.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
Beave and I invented a new drinking game utilizing the empty jugs one afternoon after DH and I slaughtered him in Corn Hole. :mrgreen: :lol:

Unfortunately poolmom slaughtered me at that as well!!! :cheers: I see you say nothing about the one bag to win, throw the other three down on the ground, swish from last camping trip though! :whip: :party:

But chlorine jug drinking games are loads of fun!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.