Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding grid for pavers

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding grid for pavers

My travertine pavers are going to be sand-set, so there won't be a rebar grid. What then?

Completed 8/26/16: Rectangular pool 42x20 and spa 10x8, 27,000 gallons, IG, Pebble Tec (Sheen) White Diamonds, Hayward 700sq ft. cartridge filter, saltwater cell, (3) Hayward Ecostar VS pump, 500k heater, (2) 2' Sheer Descent, 3 Hayward Colorlogic pool lights (+1 spa), 2 Colorlogic 320 lights (Baja/water feature), Omnilogic automation, TF100 Testkit
    New Pool Build - Porter Ranch, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Bonding grid for pavers

The old code provision called for a bare copper #8 to encircle the perimeter 18-24" from the edge. Most areas now require 12x12 copper mesh when reinforcing bar is not used. You'll need to check with your building department because this is often a grey area for most jurisdictions but it seems they all want to see a grid now.

Even if a grid isn't required, I would still want at least 2 #8s around the perimeter.

You do have 4 bond wires coming out of the gunite shell right?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Brian, most California inspectors demand some type of grid but YMMV.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I just haven't talked to my PB yet. Would you traditionally see that grid under the compacted gravel or under the sand?

Completed 8/26/16: Rectangular pool 42x20 and spa 10x8, 27,000 gallons, IG, Pebble Tec (Sheen) White Diamonds, Hayward 700sq ft. cartridge filter, saltwater cell, (3) Hayward Ecostar VS pump, 500k heater, (2) 2' Sheer Descent, 3 Hayward Colorlogic pool lights (+1 spa), 2 Colorlogic 320 lights (Baja/water feature), Omnilogic automation, TF100 Testkit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

As close to the pavers as possible so likely just under the sand
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

6. Back To Top    #6

Good answer . Thanks.