Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What can cause air bubbles?

1. Back To Top    #1

What can cause air bubbles?

What are some things I can check to see what's causing air bubbles in my skimmer basket?

I've taken the pump apart to make sure it's clean. Today I used a drain cleaning bladder to try to blow out any anything stuck in the plumbing with no success.

Can I use a snack through the plumbing?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What can cause air bubbles?

Here's something to read for starters. Do you mean the strainer basket on your pump?
    Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

A couple of common things include the pool water getting too low (whirlpool in skimmer sucking air) or a deteriorated or unlubricated O-ring under the clear lid on the strainer basket.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

The bubble isn't extremely bad but I remember my bubble was much smaller, like the size of a pencil tip unsharpen.

Pool pump bubbles - YouTube
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

I get that occasionally the day after I vacuum, and my theory is it's the bit of air I let in when I hooked up the vacuum. I do all the stuff to get rid of air in the hose, but there's always a wee bit that gets in. It goes away after a few pump starts (mine runs on high for 3 minutes, then cuts back to low each time it starts). That might be all it is, or even just a wee tiny bit getting in past the strainer lid O-ring. If that bubble was continually getting bigger, or developing every time my pump ran, I would look further into it.

That video is a super handy way to communicate. Thanks for that!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners