Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

1. Back To Top    #1

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

We left town for a week.

The Good: 2 grandsons (18 & 16) were house sitting. I brought the FC level up to max, made sure all other numbers were good, tweaked the SWG up some, threw a floater in with 1 puck and said adios. We got back a week later and the pool was still clear as a bell and all numbers were good. TFPC hit a home run !!! (Along with a huge box of Hot Pockets, a case of frozen pizza and about 5 gallons of Dr. Pepper)

The Bad: We had over 5" of rain while we were gone. Grandsons pumped down the pool twice, but after a little hand holding over the phone the first time...no problems.

The Ugly: While the pool passed with flying colors, I came home to a hot tub full of chicken broth. I told the boys to add 2-4 ounces of bleach for each hour of use. Unfortunately, there were 4-6 people in it at a time, not just 2. I didn't even try to salvage it. Ran Ahh-some through it, drained it and refilled, ran Ahh-some through it again and refilled again. Now it's back to it's usually sparkly self.

TFPC did me proud.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

"Chicken broth" hot tub water.....that is sooooo naaaaassty....

When you dumped it, you should have called the EPA, they may now consider the area you dumped it in to be eligible as a super-fund site

Bravo on the TFP victory!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Now this is some funny stuff!! You had to have read Chem Geeks stuff on hot tub maintenance. 1.7ppm chlorine per person/hour I believe. Oh and 30ppm CYA
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

That is neat to hear! Wait until you find the potato chips hidden where they did not find them when they cleaned up before you got home

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    That is neat to hear! Wait until you find the potato chips hidden where they did not find them when they cleaned up before you got home

Kim
    Haven't found those yet, but our sun room has nickles and dimes everywhere. The 2 fancy themselves poker players...they take after their grandmother. Must have had a couple hot games going on during our absence.

I had them adding 2 oz/person/hour when I told them 2-4 ounces of bleach per use. Didn't figure they would be in longer than an hour. Also didn't figure on so many people at once.

Go figure....Next time I'll show them how to measure pH and FC levels prior to leaving.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir