Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pavers not flush with ground

1. Back To Top    #1

Pavers not flush with ground

Newbie here. Had a friend tell me to put pavers under the legs of my new above ground pool (20' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame) which sounded easy enough. Too easy, perhaps, because I didn't dig them out to make them flush with the ground - I just raised the legs up and slid them underneath. The pavers are 12" x 12" x 1.5". Made sure each one was level but just scraped the top of the ground to even them out where necessary - no digging to sink them into the ground.

The pool itself is level within an inch at its worst. Have had it up for a couple of days and was looking on here to see if it being out of level an inch was a problem and read someone saying the pavers should be flush. So my question is this: do I need to empty the pool and start over?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers not flush with ground

Industry standard is 1" or less. I'd keep an eye on the pavers. They should be sunk in but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I did not sink in my pavers but I also have a foam bottom under my pool, the foam and the pavers are 1 1/2", so the bottom of the pool and the top of the pavers are on the same level. The only issue I would foresee is the liner stretching, keep an eye on it...
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Watch to make sure the liner is not rubbing on the paver anywhere. Be sure to check every so often, even of they aren't right now.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by titleistseemore View Post
    I did not sink in my pavers but I also have a foam bottom under my pool, the foam and the pavers are 1 1/2", so the bottom of the pool and the top of the pavers are on the same level. The only issue I would foresee is the liner stretching, keep an eye on it...
    Your post just reminded me that I have about an inch of sand underneath the pool. Used it to cushion the bottom, and did not extend it to where the pavers are sitting. That would only make the pavers underneath the legs extend the height by a 1/2" rather than 3 times that, so I'm feeling much better about it. I'll keep an eye on liner stretching, but what kind of things exactly am I looking for? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Watch to make sure the liner is not rubbing on the paver anywhere. Be sure to check every so often, even of they aren't right now.
    Good point! Each one is underneath the tarp that is under the liner, so they will (hopefully) never meet. But I will keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't wear through the tarp. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

That tarp will wear out as the pool moves and rubs it against the paver. So do keep a close eye on it if there's any possibility they can make contact. We don't want you to get a hole in your pool!
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I occasionally check mine from inside the pool, too, by running my foot along the furthest edge. You would be able to feel if it is pressing against the liner.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!