New Filter - Sand in Pool / New Salt Sys - Low Salt

I just purchased an Intex Sand Pump/Filter and an Intex Saltwater system. I have them running to a 22ft Ultra Frame (10k gallon) pool. I've followed the set up instructions very carefully and have been running the two for less than a week. The first problem I noticed is the amount of sand in the pool. I've backwashed, rinsed several times but the pump still pumps sand in the pool (although less than in the beginning). The second problem is the "low salt" light on the salt system came on and it switches to sleep mode. I tested the water which came back at 2800 ppm. I added 40 lbs of salt which brought it up close to 3000 ppm. Every time we try to run the system (I've turned it off and unplugged it to try to reset it), it runs for a short period of time and then displays the low salt error even though I know the pools salt level is good. I haven't cleaned the electrodes (which does have white scale) because I've only had it a week and I've heard cleaning it is hard on the components. Any suggestions?

If the cell has scale, you need to clean it. That also tells you there may be an opportunity to improve your water chemistry and avoid the scale.

Sand can occur on a new install from a couple of sources. It may stop if it's because some of the sand got into the outlet side of the filter. It may also stop if there was too much sand put in. If a lateral got displaced, you would have to empty the sand, fix the lateral, and put the sand back in. I don't know this filter at all, but if had things like the spokes of a wheel at the bottom of a standpipe, those are the laterals.

Remember not to swim with this pump running.

Not recommended to add chemicals?!? Is that instruction in context with some temporary situation or related to specific chemicals? You need sanitizer in the pool.

Intex 2,800 gph Sand Filter Pump Krystal Clear 0.95 hp Sand Pool Filter Pump
See the Frequently asked questions on this page.

There's electrical gurus here who can explain it better, but essentially the pump is not double insulated from the water, and therefore should be bonded to the pool water and steel or other conductive parts within reach of the water. Bonding prevents shocks from voltage differentials caused by stray electricity. Stray electricity can come from a fault in your house or in the power transmission lines in your neighbourhood. I know it sounds like ghostbuster stuff, but it's a genuine and manageable risk. Leaving the pump off while swimming eliminates the risk for your setup, to the best of my knowledge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.