pressure side blowout

I'm going to try this with the Drain King first and see what happens. If that doesn't do anything, then I'll get the shop vac down.

Duraleigh...I promise, I am following those exact steps. It's very humid right now so maybe it needs even more drying time. I'll give it another try after I blow the line to see if anything is blocking it.

Thanks so very much for all the help!

:mad: Well, the drain king didn't work. In fact, unless I just didn't give it enough time...NOTHING was coming out into the pool...not even water! I guess I'm going to have to get the shop vac out. I don't understand how something could have gotten in there since there's a filter that would prevent anything from going in from the pool. I have my more than fair share of pine cones but it's not possible that it could have been sucked into the line.

On to the next step....

What kind of line/pipe is it? Could it be crushed or broke underground?

Sent from a tiny keyboard.

It's the standard 2 in PVC pipe. I don't think it could be...nothing has happened in the area that the pipes are to cause an obstruction or damage to the pipes. I would be losing water if it was, wouldn't I??? I won't be able to do the shop vac until around 6 or so. I may try the drain king again in case I didn't wait long enough...

Okay.. so I tried the Drain King again. I felt the cooler water coming through but it wasn't a big burst of water, only a little more than trickling. I have now put my shop vac on it and boy, what a difference! It was bubbling to beat the band! :bounce: Nothing came out so I guess I am going to have to go with there is no obstruction. Perplexing! :confused: I think I will give it extra time to cure this time since it's so humid out. I'll check it at 6 pm on Wed. That will be 48 hours...surely...

I will take my phone and be ready to record it so if it does happen again, you can see what it's doing.

Thanks for all the great advice and help!

Hard to see from the small picture, but it looks like your pipe was only inserted an inch or less into the valve. It should be in the valve about the same distance as the pipe diameter.

Hard to see from the small picture, but it looks like your pipe was only inserted an inch or less into the valve. It should be in the valve about the same distance as the pipe diameter.

Hi John! Yes, that is correct. That is a reducer that screws into the bottom of that valve. I did that about 4 or 5 years ago and it has held fine, until now of course. I will post a new pic of what I've done tomorrow. I again put a reducer down to 1 1/2 in pipe to a different valve and then reduced again to 1 in flex pipe to the booster pump. So, just by design, the pipe isn't allowed to go any further than that 1 inch-ish depth. I put plenty of pipe on it this time in case I need to make changes. That way I wouldn't have to trash all the plumbing and start over. So once I post the pic tomorrow, I happy to take suggestions should it fail again on how to make it stronger. Thanks!

Here are pics of the new parts in place and patiently waiting to cure...

IMG_1930.jpg~original
IMG_1931.jpg~original

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Which part is coming apart?

right at the reducer on top of the 2 in pipe coming from the ground. It is simply popping off..not cracking anything... :confused:

You know to open the red valve before turning the pump on right? I assume you so, but just want to be sure

Heehee...yes, Jason, I do! :p Although, I have been known for a split sec to forget to! :laughblue:

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't look like a pressure rated reducer. Looks like a DWV only part.

uhhhh...not sure the difference/what you mean.. I got it at Lowes where I've gotten most all my pool pvc parts from and have used for years. Should I be getting this from a supply house?

I don't understand why there are so many fittings. Your pipe in the ground is 2" and your going down to 1.5" into the ball valve, then why aren't you just going into a 1.5 to 1" reducer and connect the flex to that. What are all those fittings in between?

uhhhh...not sure the difference/what you mean.. I got it at Lowes where I've gotten most all my pool pvc parts from and have used for years. Should I be getting this from a supply house?

Looks like you have this Shop Charlotte Pipe 2-in x 3-in dia PVC Adapter Coupling Fitting at Lowes.com when you need a Schedule 40 bushing like Shop LASCO 2-in Dia x 1-1/2-in Dia PVC Sch 40 Bushing at Lowes.com

The one you have appears to be a Drain/Waste/Vent fitting which isn't designed to be used under pressure. The contact surface is much smaller producing weaker joints on DWV fittings. The fittings and pipe can be interchanged in non-pressurized applications, but need to be Schedule 40 for pressure applications.

I don't understand why there are so many fittings. Your pipe in the ground is 2" and your going down to 1.5" into the ball valve, then why aren't you just going into a 1.5 to 1" reducer and connect the flex to that. What are all those fittings in between?

Because I had to go with what was available at Lowes/Home Depot. I want a valve on there so I can shut it off. Lowes only had 2 valves, this one and a 2" one that had to have the connection screwed into it which they had nothing available. I also had to work with the plumbing that's already there and getting it connected to the valve. I had to purchase new valves because there wasn't enough pipe to attach anything to. Lowes is very limited in what they have available and HD is even worse than them!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you have this Shop Charlotte Pipe 2-in x 3-in dia PVC Adapter Coupling Fitting at Lowes.com when you need a Schedule 40 bushing like Shop LASCO 2-in Dia x 1-1/2-in Dia PVC Sch 40 Bushing at Lowes.com

The one you have appears to be a Drain/Waste/Vent fitting which isn't designed to be used under pressure. The contact surface is much smaller producing weaker joints on DWV fittings. The fittings and pipe can be interchanged in non-pressurized applications, but need to be Schedule 40 for pressure applications.

Hmmm...well, that certainly could be the problem here! Thank you for this info! I will use it when I go back to Lowes should it fail on me again tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

John, in looking at the pic, I don't think we are talking about the same piece. I thought you were talking about the adapter that is connected to the 2" pipe from the ground. This piece you sent is different and won't work for what I need it to do. Is there an adapter that is made for pressure?

John, in looking at the pic, I don't think we are talking about the same piece. I thought you were talking about the adapter that is connected to the 2" pipe from the ground. This piece you sent is different and won't work for what I need it to do. Is there an adapter that is made for pressure?

The first thing on the 2" pipe that adapts to the 1.5" pipe. The second link in my post above is the same function but pressure rated. The pressure rated version will slip down inside the 2" pipe leaving you with a 1.5" hole for the upper pipe.

The first thing on the 2" pipe that adapts to the 1.5" pipe. The second link in my post above is the same function but pressure rated. The pressure rated version will slip down inside the 2" pipe leaving you with a 1.5" hole for the upper pipe.

Okay...I see now. The pic they show is not the product that is shown when I double-click the picture...very strange. I get what you're saying and may go ahead and get one to have on hand.. Interesting that what I did use is the same thing I used 5 years ago...I guess the product stability has changed??? Dunno...but thanks very much for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.