Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Owner - First Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Owner - First Test Results

We're moved into our home now. I tested the water using the TF 100 test kit and just followed the included instructions for each test.

Note: I have an intellichlor SWG that is currently reading low salt and cell powered off.

CL: 5 (highest or more?)
    BR: 10 (highest or more?)
    Ph: 7.8
    FC: 3.5
    CC: 0 or 0.5 (I couldn't decide if there was color change or just the magnetic stirrer light messing with me)
    TC: 3.5 or 4^^
    CH: 700
    TA: 150
    CYA: 100

Leslie's gave me readings last week (and sold me phos free ) of:

FAC 10
    TAC 10
    Salt 2000
    CH 700
    CYA 90
    TA 110
    pH 7.8
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    Phosphates 300

I'm wanting to stay out of the pool store as much as possible. Where do I go from here?
    Phoenix AZ: 8,000 gallon IG Pebbletec salt water pool, Triton 2 Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump, intellichlor SWG, AG hottub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Owner - First Test Results

Did you get the salt test when you ordered your testing kit? You'll need to get your salt level high enough to activate your SWG. How are you chlorinating now?

Ignore the phosphates. As long as you have enough chlorine in the pool, they won't be a problem.

Your CYA is a bit high, but not fatally so. Your CH is quite high, but manageable. You'll have to keep your PH in line and your TA down eventually. For that, you will need muriatic acid.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

3. Back To Top    #3

The CYA test only reads to 100. Try the diluted test, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions.

What is your FAS/DPD chlorine test result? It is important to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, FC/CYA Chart. If FC drops below minimum the pool is unsanitary because the kill rate for bacteria, viruses and pathogens is insufficient to prevent person to person disease transmission. It is not safe to swim when FC is below minimum.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a set of links I share with new pool owners. I hope you find them helpful. You might have seen a couple of them already but i do not want to take a chance of missing one.

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    Did you get the salt test when you ordered your testing kit? You'll need to get your salt level high enough to activate your SWG. How are you chlorinating now?

Ignore the phosphates. As long as you have enough chlorine in the pool, they won't be a problem.

Your CYA is a bit high, but not fatally so. Your CH is quite high, but manageable. You'll have to keep your PH in line and your TA down eventually. For that, you will need muriatic acid.
    I'm not currently adding anything to the pool. I'm not really sure what to do next that is why I made this post.

For the FAS-DPD test I got FC 3.5 and CC either 0 or 0.5 it was very faint.

From the linked reading this is my proposed action plan:

1. Order a salt test kit/reagent.
    2. Purchase ~150 lbs of water softener salt to bring pool to intellichlor requested level of 3400
    3. Lower TA?
    Phoenix AZ: 8,000 gallon IG Pebbletec salt water pool, Triton 2 Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump, intellichlor SWG, AG hottub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshAZ View Post
    2. Purchase ~150 lbs of water softener salt to bring pool to intellichlor requested level of 3400
    3. Lower TA?
    I'd buy pool salt myself, smaller grains dissolves easier, Sams usually has a decent price, at least compared to big box stores, or pool stores.
    But test first, only way to lower salt is drain and refill.
    my 2 cents
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay it has been about a week and here are the results:

Cl - 5
    Br - 10
    pH - 8.2
    FC - 2.5
    CC - .5
    TC - 3.0
    CH - 750
    TA - 140
    CYA - 100 (used diluted method)
    Salt - 3400

8. Back To Top    #8

Alright Josh. Well, that high CYA is your demise right now. Makes overall water management very difficult. You know that needs to come down right? Are you prepared to do a drain or a more than one hefty partial drain? No sense wasting chemicals on water you need to remove.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the response, I will do whatever is necessary to have a trouble free pool.

How much should I drain off at a time?

What causes CYA to increase?

I was planning on doing a drain when the weather cools down so we could have an acid wash and other repairs done.

10. Back To Top    #10

Check Pool Math for your specific amount to remove, but it's not an insignificant amount. I would suggest you do it now, finish the acid wash that you want, and reset with the new, clean water & pool. No sense going through it twice.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

11. Back To Top    #11

With SWG it only needs to drop to 80, so about 20%.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.
    It is important to maintain FC at target level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart, and never it let FC drop below minimum to keep your pool sanitary and safe for swimming.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello,

I've drained a portion of my pool today and refilled it from the hose. The pool has been cycling all day while filling.

Here are the test results:

cl/br: the water was orange and not close
    pH >8.2
    FC 13
    CC 0
    TC 13
    CH 625
    TA 130
    CYA 75
    Salt 2600

Side note (not new): When the pool light is on you can see stuff floating in the water. What is this?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

13. Back To Top    #13

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

Is the stuff floating in the pool blue? With a white hat? They're smurfs! Got any more info on the floating stuff? Leaves, bugs, logs, etc?

Edit: I noticed a link to an outside site for a pic. Sorry, I can't click that and many others can't or won't either. Please upload pics on TFP or host your photos on Photobucket, copy the IMG code and paste it in your post, that will embed the pic in the thread so we can see them. I don't know if your vcurrent photo host offers that service.
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

QpnPkSag.jpg

This was the linked picture. This forum doesn't accept images from my phone camera.

Thank you for letting me know the importance of the pH levels. According to the pool math I should be adding about 26 ounces of 31.45% muriatic acid. Does this sound correct?

Thank you for the replies.

15. Back To Top    #15

Are those like white flakes? It is probably scale. Enter all your test results into PoolMath and it will give a CSI score. Tweak PH and TA to keep CSI between -0.3 and 0.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Did another test today.

pH: 7.8
    TA: 120
    CH: 550
    CYA: 75
    FC: 3
    CC: .5
    TC: 3.5

Our water is extremely calcium hard.

17. Back To Top    #17

Definitely get that TA and pH down Josh. Your CSI is too high. Use the acid/aeration method as noted on the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Bring your TA down to 70 and keep the pH around 7.6 and your CSI will be in the 0.2 zone. Much better than what you have now at just over 0.6 (scale).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you will start that immediately. I don't have an aerator but I'm assuming my water feature will work fine.

19. Back To Top    #19

Does anybody know what level my SWG should be on, 1-5?

20. Back To Top    #20

IC40? If so you make about .9 ozs per hour of chlorine gas. 4+ hrs will raise FC by 2. You want it at what will keep your FC at the level you need for the time your pump runs. Probably during the summer months you might need to max it.
    13k Pebbletec Pool/Spa, Hayward Ecostar, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, Pentair C&C 420 cartridge, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Caretaker system, TF-100 & Taylor K1766 test kits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast