New Pool Owner. Cloudiness. Need help in slamming process. Have Taylor kit results

HillMA

Jul 7, 2016
Boston, MA
Hi Everyone. Please help me. I am so desperate.
Gonna give you the entire story in hopes someone can give me good advice. I have been reading the forum for weeks now and decided to post something for myself.
Just bought a house and had every intention in filling in the pool. Summer is here and now I have decided I want it! I love pools. Grew up with one but money is tight. I am going for it though. :)
Took the cover off, but had holes so some of the leaves and green algae fell into pool. Was very dark and green.
Threw in 4ea 1lb bags of hth Super Treatment 4-in-1 Pool Shock. Seemed to clear up a tiny bit but still dark green in deep end.
Pool company came out 4 days later got pool system up and running and shocked again.
Pump then died. Pool is VERY GREEN with tons of debris at deep end. No pump no vacuum.
Pool sat for 3 weeks with nothing running and no chemicals added. (We were trying to figure out what to do). Decided to go for it.
Husband (plumber) installed new pump. Works great!
Shocked pool with 4 1b bags of Home Depot Shock Max Blue. Pool very green but started to turn slightly blue. VERY CLOUDY. Added 16 ounces hth Algaecide. Husband tried vacuuming before I got home. He had no idea how to do it and didn't fill hose with water so basically he was pushing everything around for an hour. :)
Added a floater with 2ea 3"chlorine tabs since my CYA was low from test strip.
After 24 hours I finally bought test kit (not Taylor) but hth.
CYA was very low (strips)
PH was 7.8 or higher (maybe due to shocking)
TA was high
24 hours later I was nervous it was so high and wondered if chlorine wasn't working so I added PH down before I shocked again. I added approx 40oz of PH Down Sodium Bisulfate (20 the first day and 20 ounces the next day)
Tested again the following day and levels all seemed ok except for the chlorine. I have none. also added remaining 16 oz of algaecide bottle. POOL WENT FROM LIGHT CLOUDY GREEN TO BLUE CLOUDY
I bought 4 gallons of liquid chlorine. Put 2 gallons in Tuesday night. Tested Wed morning all levels seemed ok actually had chlorine show in test kit. Got home from work around 6 and tested, no chlorine (VERY HOT).
Added the remaining 2 gallons last night. BLUE AND CLOUDY
let filter run a week but nothing. Husband changed sand and cleaned out filter so now I know everything is working.
Added 3 bags of powered shock since cya was very low. Store said it was 10 and hth cya kit didn't even read. Saw black dot entire tube being filled.
Taylor test kit arrived today!!!! Woohoo.
Results were:
FC - 10
CC - 1.8
pH - 7.4
Hardness - 170
TA-230
CYA - 30-32
As of tonight. I noticed the cup of water I took from pool had white floaters in it.
Pool looks blue and smells like chlorine but is cloudy. Can see only 2 steps down ladder.
Vacuumed for 2 hours yesterday. I think I got everything. Had to empty filter basket 3 times!
Can someone please help! I have a 3 and a 4 year old who miss their mommy who is spending a lot of her free time trying to get this pool clear :(
Could it be algae is still trying to grow or is it all dead algae at this point as I have shock so many times! I know I used bags but I figured it was ok with such a low cya.
Help me please please please :)
Thanks
Samantha

Last edited:
Hi. Someone with more knowledge of the SLAM process will help. For now, just keep adding chlorine to keep it to SLAM level and brush, brush, brush. Backwash as necessary.

If you are sure that your CYA is that low, then add enough to bring it up to 30 ppm. Adding pucks and shock powder will usually add CYA, though, so be careful not to overshoot by too much.

Stop adding algaecide. It doesn't actually kill algae and can add metals to your water (depending on what kind it is).

I have the K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD. I also figured with the high CC I need to slam so checked CC this am first thing and both CC and FC were the same no loss overnight. Put in two gallons of liquid chlorine 12.5% to raise the 10 FC and brushed. Hoping I can kill this off quickly and finally get swimming. Will check levels as soon as I get home again tonight to make sure I didn't lose too much unfortunately I live too far distance to stop at home during the day to keep checking luckily I have tomorrow off and I can really work on it but so far I'm not losing too much chlorine

- - - Updated - - -

Should I worry about the high TA or just fully concentrate on swimming pool right now?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I worry about the high TA or just fully concentrate on swimming pool right now?

Let your FC drift down to 9 and take another PH reading... Use the calc to find out how much MA you need to drop it to 7-7.2, add as required, then test again about 1/2 hour later. Crank your FC up to around the 12 mark until you are ready to start your actual slam. Looks like your FC target for slam will be about 16 so keeping it around 12 until you are actually ready to start it will help the process along and start killing whatever is causing your 1.8 CC.

I have read it all and re read over and over. So new to this though I wanted others opinion on what is going on and confirmation I am doing it right. So I got shock level up this am. So on the right track. Will test when I get home and just keep slamming. How long does this take some people? Can I be doing this for weeks? Right now the water is so blue and beautiful just cloudy. I want to jump in so bad!!! Getting impatient. There seems to be a lot of floaters suspended in the water. Will the filter take all these out or will the sink to the bottom and I will eventually be vacuuming them?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. So you think the 7.4 isn't low enough? I put two gallons in this am before I left for work so was already in process of raising to 26 or even 18 since my CyA is low. How long after you add 3" tabs and bagged shock will it take for Cya levels to rise? I read somewhere it takes a little while after adding. Nervous I am going to check one day it it will have jumped to over 100 ?

Yes, you could be looking at 2 weeks or more. It didn't get green overnight and it won't get crystal clear overnight either.

Please fill out your signature with your pool details, it's very helpful to have that easily available.

Slams are different everywhere... Mine took less than 24 hours.. Ive read about people doing it for weeks..
All depends on the current condition of your water...

Don't get impatient... if you take your time, you will love the results... and it will be easier to maintain. Did you drop your PH prior to jumping to shock level?

Floaters should get caught in the filter.. sounds like a dead algae bloom so some of them may need a little assistance getting sucked up...

Make sure you put your pool specs in your sig block so we can give better advice

Ok. So you think the 7.4 isn't low enough? I put two gallons in this am before I left for work so was already in process of raising to 26 or even 18 since my CyA is low. How long after you add 3" tabs and bagged shock will it take for Cya levels to rise? I read somewhere it takes a little while after adding. Nervous I am going to check one day it it will have jumped to over 100 ��
If it is all dissolved use the number you have, 30. SLAM level for 30 CYA is FC 12. There is no need to go to 18 or 26, it is wasteful and potentially harmful and will not "speed up" the process. Yes, 7.4 pH is low enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every pool is different, so depending upon the severity of algae in the water, each SLAM duration is also different. Since your water is now blue and mostly cloudy now, it might just take a few more days. Those with really green pools can take a couple weeks. But again, it all varies. The effort invested by the pool owner also directly impacts the SLAM length. Most owners have to leave during the day so the FC may drop a bit which in-turn slows-down progress. But in the end, it will work. Stick with it and be patient. Make sure to review the SLAM page periodically to ensure you're doing everything required. Your filter will continue to catch the dead algae, so your filter pressure may increase, and when it does (by 25%) give it a good cleaning. Continue the brushing to keep things stirred-up and remove stubborn algae spores from the walls. Of course do the best you can to maintain your SLAM FC level. You'll get it. Take a pic of your water each day near some steps to monitor your progress. Good luck!

Ok. So you think the 7.4 isn't low enough? I put two gallons in this am before I left for work so was already in process of raising to 26 or even 18 since my CyA is low. How long after you add 3" tabs and bagged shock will it take for Cya levels to rise? I read somewhere it takes a little while after adding. Nervous I am going to check one day it it will have jumped to over 100 

PH is untestable above 10FC so we lower it to account for natural drift during the process. CYA of 30 isn't low, its a good place to start especially during the slam... Don't target too high, Chart says 12 for CYA 30 and 16 for CYA 40. Your FC will drop while its taking care of the nasties. NO chlorine tabs or Bagged shock during the SLAM process.. Bleach only.. the Tabs and bagged shock add other things that don't need to be in your pool. The cya in those can get your levels out of control.

I did that when I signed up for the account. Everytime you post something to the forum do you have to choose to show signature? I added it to my original post.
Inground, Vinyl Liner, 27,500 gallon, Hayward Sand Filter S-220T older, New Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5HP,
Thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Yes I did add my signature to original thread. Inground, Vinyl Liner, 27,500 gallon, Hayward Sand Filter S-220T older, New Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5HP,
I unfortunately didn't lower PH as I just got your post and added the chlorine at 5am EST this morning. Should I let that settle down to 9 FC before I keep going?

- - - Updated - - -

Slams are different everywhere... Mine took less than 24 hours.. Ive read about people doing it for weeks..
All depends on the current condition of your water...

Don't get impatient... if you take your time, you will love the results... and it will be easier to maintain. Did you drop your PH prior to jumping to shock level?

Floaters should get caught in the filter.. sounds like a dead algae bloom so some of them may need a little assistance getting sucked up...

Make sure you put your pool specs in your sig block so we can give better advice

Thanks! Yes I did add my signature to original thread. Inground, Vinyl Liner, 27,500 gallon, Hayward Sand Filter S-220T older, New Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5HP,
I unfortunately didn't lower PH as I just got your post and added the chlorine at 5am EST this morning. Should I let that settle down to 9 FC before I keep going?

If it is all dissolved use the number you have, 30. SLAM level for 30 CYA is FC 12. There is no need to go to 18 or 26, it is wasteful and potentially harmful and will not "speed up" the process. Yes, 7.4 pH is low enough.

Ok thanks. I might have overdone it this am. Still learning how to use the calculator. I find it a little difficult. I will aim for FC12

- - - Updated - - -

Every pool is different, so depending upon the severity of algae in the water, each SLAM duration is also different. Since your water is now blue and mostly cloudy now, it might just take a few more days. Those with really green pools can take a couple weeks. But again, it all varies. The effort invested by the pool owner also directly impacts the SLAM length. Most owners have to leave during the day so the FC may drop a bit which in-turn slows-down progress. But in the end, it will work. Stick with it and be patient. Make sure to review the SLAM page periodically to ensure you're doing everything required. Your filter will continue to catch the dead algae, so your filter pressure may increase, and when it does (by 25%) give it a good cleaning. Continue the brushing to keep things stirred-up and remove stubborn algae spores from the walls. Of course do the best you can to maintain your SLAM FC level. You'll get it. Take a pic of your water each day near some steps to monitor your progress. Good luck!

Thanks so much. When you say "give it a good cleaning" are you talking about the filter. How do I do that for a sand filter? Like I said, I am so NEW at this. lol Would that be backwashing or rinsing?
Also what about adding De to help filter out the floaters? DO you think that would help? If so any idea how mush I would add to the skimmer basket?
Do you think I should still be vacuuming once a day?

Sorry my posts are all over the place. Still trying to figure out how to respond to someone directly. I don't ever use forums online or anything. I am new to this process. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for everyone's guidance!!!

Backwashing will be sufficient... Watch the sight glass and once the water goes back to the same clarity as your pool, your are ready to go back to filter mode...
You can add DE, but I would wait till you see some good results from the slam
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Vacuuming and brushing during the slam will help dislodge the algae and stir the water so it all gets filtered.

Backwashing will be sufficient... Watch the sight glass and once the water goes back to the same clarity as your pool, your are ready to go back to filter mode...
You can add DE, but I would wait till you see some good results from the slam
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Vacuuming and brushing during the slam will help dislodge the algae and stir the water so it all gets filtered.
Awesome. Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be cleaning the filter some other way as well. I will backwash as needed and will vacuum tonight. So excited to see some results, but won't rush it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.