Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high TA low pH

1. Back To Top    #1
    Santa Rosa/California

high TA low pH

Hello All,
    This pool stuff is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be...

I just got an intex 18x9x52 (4545 gallon) vinyl pool about two weeks ago for my birthday. The local pool store told me to put in about 1/2 gallon of chlorine + 1/2 gallon of stabilizer to open the pool. My kids and I have been swimming pretty much every night since then. So that's a bather load of 3-4 people for the last two weeks. I've been running the filter for about 12hrs/day.

So, I've been trying to do the test strips to keep an eye on things, but I haven't done anything "intentional" to modify/adjust the pool chem. I just picked up a taylor 2006 complete test to get a "better" account of where the chem stands. Here's what I got after testing last night:

Temp: 84F
    TH: 250
    TC: 10
    FC: 10
    pH: 7.0
    TA: 210
    CYA: 40

From what I can tell my TA is at least 110ppm to high and I should try and bring my ph up to 7.5 at least. But now I'm stumped... If I add Borax, it'll raise my pH but also raise my already high TA, right? If I use Muriatic acid to lower the TA, it'll lower the already low pH, right?

Anyway, it's probably clear that I have no idea what to do and I could really use some help. Do I add Borax or Muriatic acid, and in general, which should I try to address first, pH or TA? Also, is that high chlorine going to bother anything, or is it okay to live with?

Thanks a bunch!!!

btw: here's what the pool calculator says I should do:
    Given TA of 210 and Borate of 0:
    Add 32 oz by weight or 28 oz by volume of washing soda or soda ash
    or add 63 oz by weight or 60 oz by volume of borax.
    Add 0 of muriatic acid
    or add 0 by weight or 0 by volume of dry acid.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: high TA low pH

It is a PROCESS to lower your TA. If you can, lower your PH to 7.2, aerate to raise it, and lower again. Each time will lower your TA. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!