Draining the Pool 40k gal?

Jul 11, 2016
Wrightstown, NJ
I am having trouble with my pool water. It is cloudy, has some pink slime and the test results at below. It is also eating up the chlorine tabs at about 25 tabs (1" tabs) a day.

Free Chlorine .14ppm
Total Chlorine 1.26ppm
Combined Chlorine 1.11ppm
pH 7.1
Hardness 88 ppm
Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer correction) 68ppm
CYA over 149ppm
Copper .3ppm
Iron .1ppm
Phosphate 0ppm

Pool store says the best way to approach this is to drain the pool (all the way if possible) and start over with fresh water. This is about a $2k refill. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am going for a third water test tomorrow to make sure their reading are accurate.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! A few items to start.

Pool Store testing - especially CYA, is notoriously unreliable. In order for us to give you the help you need, we're going to need you to get us test results from a fully-featured Test Kit. We recommend the K-2006C (get the C version if you're going to choose this kit - it has more reagents and you're going to need them), or for the best value, a TF-100 (you can get these here: TFTestkits.net ). That is going to get us the numbers we're going to need to help you unravel this problem.

First of all, what's killing you is the CYA. It's going to be high no matter whose test you run. The reason is those 25 tablets you're feeding it a day. The longer you do that, the more water you're going to have to drain! STOP immediately and let's get you onto bleach or another chlorine type that doesn't have CYA! Again, the more CYA you add to that pool, the more water you're going to have to drain to clear it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.