Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algae and pool slamming?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bennington, NE

Question algae and pool slamming?

This is my first pool set up and wowza what a headache. This site has definitely been a great help though. I made the mistake of not adding stabilizer right away. Then went on vacation to disneyland. Came back to a green slimy mess! It has been 3 weeks and although it has gotten a ton better, I'm still dealing with cloudy water. I replace the pump that came with it, with a larger pump and that has helped. I have just been using the shock chemicals from the store. Im still trying to get my CYA up and will retest tonight. I was reading how to slam your pool. With my CYA at less than 20 it says 10 for chlorine. Is that the level I need to get it to? I'm confused and this headache isn't helping. lol

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: algae and pool slamming?

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you want to raise FC to shock level for your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Jackson, NJ

Re: algae and pool slamming?

You can dump some instant pool conditioner in the water to raise your CYA. Its pricey, but its immediate.
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit