Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap DIY Aerator

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap DIY Aerator

HI guys,

After doing some research on here on how to aerate, I saw a few good ideas posted in random areas. Some included using a sump pump. Some included using an air compressor. One, which I went with used a PVC method and the already built in returns.

I liked this method for a number of reasons. First, sump pumps and air compressors start at $100 where I am. Secondly, these devices would use more electricity in addition to my pump and we're currently getting hammered in the heat so I am trying to cut back to keep the electric bill reasonable. The PVC method allows you to use the same electricity you would normally with just a little rerouting. I added some full pictures of what it looks like, and also a rubber wrench in case anyone doesn't know what one looks like. They're great to use to remove return caps.

Thanks to the OP for this idea and I hope this made at least one persons life easier.

IMG_1040.jpgIMG_1041.jpgIMG_1037.jpgIMG_1043.jpg
    FL Resident
    IG 18,000 gal plaster
    Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Swimpure Extreme swcg
    A.O. 1HP motor

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cheap DIY Aerator

so I am trying to cut back to keep the electric bill reasonable.
    By far, the biggest way to save electricity is pump run time. How long are you running yours?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cheap DIY Aerator

Long story, but I've been reducing it. Just wanted to share the idea with people who may not want to buy a sump or compressor just to aerate or for those, like me, who don't see the point in using more electricity than needed.
    FL Resident
    IG 18,000 gal plaster
    Hayward Swim Clear Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Swimpure Extreme swcg
    A.O. 1HP motor