Dig up HALF my pool?

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
I mentioned somewhere here before that I purchased a new home with a sports pool that was built somewhere in the 1980's. The pool originally had a deep end of around 8 feet, I was told. Maybe a decade or so after that, the owner decided on making the pool into a sports pool and filled in the deep end and replastered.

To you pool experts out there. Would I be able to go in, drain the pool, and dig up that filled in part of the pool only? Then, assuming I carefully removed the debris from the fill, re-plaster and restore the pool to its original state, deep end and all? In theory, the outer shell of the pool might still exist right? I know they probably put in new rebar and such, but please, humor me and let me know if this is something in the realm of possibility. I don't need it to be DIY - I would be willing to hire a proper pool company. I am more interested in hearing about the feasibility of doing this. OR.... is that a lost cause? Is this something I should just start over from scratch?

Well you wouldn't start from scratch unless something went terribly wrong in the process of recreating the original depth profile. You are correct that they would have gone into the original shell with rebar and also likely chipped into it at the "joint" perimeter to give it something extra to grab onto there. I'm guessing that no PB would guarantee that he wouldn't crack the original shell. The hardest part conceptually to me is if you can tell where the filled in part begins and ends. Once you chip out plaster, it may be more clear, which would be helpful. Just my thoughts.

I've never personally used a jackhammer which is what will be needed to do the job. So I don't know to what extent the new concrete will be interested in separating from the original pour. Conceptually, if the plaster is chipped out in the whole basin, and you can identify the area to be "deepened", AND using a jackhammer on the too deep section will not harm the shell, then I think it might be possible - in conjunction with a concrete saw to score the depth and cut through rebar. I'd view my post as a conversation starter. I know how they likely filled it, but the actual jack-hammering physics are something other users can hopefully shed some light on.

In the deep end of the pool there is a few feet between the new sport pool bottom and the original bottom. This space was probably filled in with dirt or gravel and likely not solid concrete. I think one could jackhammer thru the existing sport pool bottom looking for the void space then remove that "new floor" back to where it ties into the original pool structure.

This could be one option and give you an idea of expense vs. value added in returning it to a deep end. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your input. Intuitively, it seems to me that a "gentle" jackhammering through the plaster seems like it could work. I'm glad to hear that this is in the realm of possibility. I'm calling some local PB's for their input and possible estimates. I'm only doing this if there is a VERY GOOD possibility it can be done without doing EVERYTHING over. Expense vs. value added is definitely the key here.

Husband laughed at the "gentle" jackhammer LOL BUT he did say if you score the new stuff with a saw you MAY be able to get the new out. The ticket will be the person holding the jackhammer skills. If it is like our one friend he would be to China before you said BOO but with another friend it would be a sliver at a time.

When you call make sure they know you will be doing this after all of the current builds are done so they know they will have work when the busy season is over.

Kim:cat:

Out of curiosity, are you desperate for a diving pool? What makes you want to restore the original depth?

trityx... I am not desperate, but I grew up with pools having a deep end and I feel like my pool is large enough that a deep end would make it more "fun" if that makes sense. For example, when we used to swim at our old condo pool, it had a 10 foot section and my daughters liked to practice diving. Here at home, they cannot safely do that.

If the cost is minimal, then I am inclined to make it deep again.

- - - Updated - - -

Husband laughed at the "gentle" jackhammer LOL BUT he did say if you score the new stuff with a saw you MAY be able to get the new out. The ticket will be the person holding the jackhammer skills. If it is like our one friend he would be to China before you said BOO but with another friend it would be a sliver at a time.

When you call make sure they know you will be doing this after all of the current builds are done so they know they will have work when the busy season is over.

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim, I never even thought about using a saw to make "incisions" in the pool floor. It makes perfect sense. I have a lot of calls to make to PB's, and YES, this would for sure be done after summer is over, although it stays warm almost the entire year here in Southern Cali.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm with you Rocketfish- a deeper pool is WAY more fun and provides far more options than a "sports pool". I just don't get the attraction to them, personally.

Make sure if you do this you share the entire process with us, 'k?

Yippee :flower:

Sorry, I didn't mean "desperate" to sound like a bad thing. To me, it seems like a lot of cost that could be sunk into remodeling the pool area is all. :)

triptyx... i didn't take it as a bad thing :)

- - - Updated - - -

I will share the entire experience with you all for sure! I don't know if I'll actually go through with it, though. Seems like the cost of it is pretty close to starting over based on a conversation I had with a local PB that I just called. We will see this fall - I will have somebody give me an actual quote.

To be continued......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.