TFP method. Suddenly getting algae.

May 27, 2013
Philadelphia Suburbs
So I have been doing TFP since last summer with the Liquidator to much success. Here are my numbers:

20-25,000 gallon in ground (pebbletec surface - full sun)
CL 5.5
PH 8.0 (keeping it down is a constant battle)
CYA <50
CH 260
TA 80

Single speed pump running 6-8hrs a day

I just shocked the pool and will adjust PH once chlorine has stabilized

I don't think I should be getting algae with those numbers..... any thoughts?

Assuming you have kept your FC above 4 at ALL times (for a CYA of 50), then signs would point towards you not developing algae. The above numbers are just a point in time.

Are these results made by you with one of the recommended test kits?

Did you have a green pool when you opened this spring?

What is your CC level?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just how we analyze situations.

The TFPC method does not recognize shocking as a reliable method to do anything really. You have algae so you will need to SLAM your pool but the above may help us learn why the algae appeared in the first place.

I can almost be certain though that FC got too low at some point and algae gained a foothold. It's a pretty straightforward scenario we see all the time.

Assuming you have kept your FC above 4 at ALL times (for a CYA of 50), then signs would point towards you not developing algae. The above numbers are just a point in time.

Are these results made by you with one of the recommended test kits?

Did you have a green pool when you opened this spring?

What is your CC level?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just how we analyze situations.

The TFPC method does not recognize shocking as a reliable method to do anything really. You have algae so you will need to SLAM your pool but the above may help us learn why the algae appeared in the first place.

I can almost be certain though that FC got too low at some point and algae gained a foothold. It's a pretty straightforward scenario we see all the time.

Yes, I use the recommended test kit. My pool was not green when I opened it, just cloudy. CC is zero or close to it.

FC did dip to 3 one day when I an out of CL but I got more that day and it was back up the next day. That was probably last Thursday. Can one day dip really allow algae to develop even if my CL level went back to 5-6ppm in under 24hrs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.