Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3D Printed Pool Parts

1. Back To Top    #1

3D Printed Pool Parts

A few months ago I splurged on a 3D printer and have been using it to make replacement parts for the pool & yard (and anything else I can think of). Here are a couple of things I've made so far. These are all available free for download if you want to make them too.

Pool Pole Friction Ring
    Hayward Super Pump Drain Plug p/n SPX1700FG
    Diving Board Nut Cover
    Shower Hose to Garden Spigot adapter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 3D Printed Pool Parts

What program and printer are you using?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Using Simplify3D for slicing and my printer is a Qidi Tech ($699 on Amazon - a bargain IMHO). For design I've been using a few different programs, OpenSCAD, 123D Design and Meshmixer mostly.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is brilliant! I never thought about this, but admittedly didn't think 3D printers were that accessible as of yet. Where do you get the plastic from, and is it very difficult to design things?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Nah, I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants. The plastic comes in spools of filament and you can get it from Makergeeks.com (my personal favorite), Amazon, Micro Center, and many many other stores.

Designing things as 3D models that can be printed can be surprisingly easy especially if you can find something online that you can modify or combine with other things to make what you want. OTOH if you need a unique complex part you'll need some skills with a program such as Solidworks, AutoCAD Fusion or the like.

The good thing is there are huge amounts of info & tutorials online and many forums to learn from if you want to get your feet wet.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by patpend View Post
    A few months ago I splurged on a 3D printer and have been using it to make replacement parts for the pool & yard (and anything else I can think of). Here are a couple of things I've made so far. These are all available free for download if you want to make them too.

Pool Pole Friction Ring
    Hayward Super Pump Drain Plug p/n SPX1700FG
    Diving Board Nut Cover
    Shower Hose to Garden Spigot adapter
    How durable are those parts? Most of the 3d printed samples I've encountered are not especially strong.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

So far none of them have failed. The Super Pump drain plug is leak free after almost two months. It all depends on the material you choose and the printing techniques you use. I made a gear for my paper shredder out of a nylon blend that's insanely tough. You could smash it with a hammer and it wouldn't break. See Zahnrad fur Aktenvernichter Fellowes SB-95C