Changing filter laterals

Herwick

Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2016
Ardmore, Ok
I have a Hayward S200 sand filter and it seems the lateral lines are broken as sand is being blown back into the pool. I have ordered the new laterals and we are replacing the sand and all o-rings for peace of mind. Does anyone have any tips? Any surprises I should look out for? I have viewed videos and it seems pretty straight forward but in my experience hardly anything is ever as easy as it seems at first. Thanks.

Don't crank on the new laterals... they are delicate and if you do crack them, youll be back at square 1... Check your main lateral tube too.. those crack as sell. When you refill the tank, make sure to add about half water before you dump in the sand.. the weight of the sand will break the laterals too...

So my filter is up and running again. YAY! Now to start SLAM #2!

20160711_212618.jpg
This was what we found inside the filter. We had back washed before shutting down.

20160711_224800.jpg
All cleaned out. The inside of the laterals were just as bad, they were not stopping anything from going back into the pool. We had 2 that were obviously broken, had visible cracks, the rest were just very very dirty.

20160711_225048.jpg
New laterals in place and ready for new sand.

It took us about 3 hours start to finish. Taking the bolts out and putting them back in was the most time consuming, our drill battery ran dead half way through so wrench and ratchet the rest of the project. A LOT of stuff was blown back into the pool when it was first started up. I'm assuming it was everything inside the pipes from before as now the water going back into the pool is nice and clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.