Air in return

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
Good day, I have an older gunite pool and I have noticed more air in the closest return to the pump upon start up and continuing during running. Also notice air in basket by motor. I have been struggling with a bit of water loss (2-3 inches per week) but that could be evaporation.

Next year I do plan on getting the pool all replastered and fixed up but was a bit concerned on the air.

Generally speaking, air in the pump basket or shooting-out from a return jet could be signs of a suction side air leak. You might want to look at everything on the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page and see if that helps. Good luck!

Good day, I have an older gunite pool and I have noticed more air in the closest return to the pump upon start up and continuing during running. Also notice air in basket by motor. I have been struggling with a bit of water loss (2-3 inches per week) but that could be evaporation.

Next year I do plan on getting the pool all replastered and fixed up but was a bit concerned on the air.

I see that you are in Massachusetts, just a few miles south of me. I can tell you that with the sunny, windy, dry weather and cool nights, I too am seeing lot's of evaporation. I've never had a summer where I've had to add so much water to my pool (almost weekly). Not sure about 2-3 inches, but I'll bet I'm seeing close to that.

Air in returns: I solved this issue using the garden hose method. Turn a garden hose on halfway and hold it over every joint in your "suction side" (pre pump impeller) plumbing and all over your baskets. Take care not to get an water on the pump motor. The bubbles will stop when you have hit the leaking joint. It's actually quite neat. When I held my hose over my ball valve, the bubbles stopped, turned out there was a kinked and worn out gasket in there. The bubbling stopped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.