Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in return

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in return

Good day, I have an older gunite pool and I have noticed more air in the closest return to the pump upon start up and continuing during running. Also notice air in basket by motor. I have been struggling with a bit of water loss (2-3 inches per week) but that could be evaporation.

Next year I do plan on getting the pool all replastered and fixed up but was a bit concerned on the air.
    1971 Gunite 31x16 IG Kidney shape pool approx 18000 Gallons
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    Sta-rite System3 S7M120 Cartridge Filter
    A.O. Smith 3/4 HP motor, starite pump
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in return

Generally speaking, air in the pump basket or shooting-out from a return jet could be signs of a suction side air leak. You might want to look at everything on the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page and see if that helps. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by rlefig View Post
    Good day, I have an older gunite pool and I have noticed more air in the closest return to the pump upon start up and continuing during running. Also notice air in basket by motor. I have been struggling with a bit of water loss (2-3 inches per week) but that could be evaporation.

Next year I do plan on getting the pool all replastered and fixed up but was a bit concerned on the air.
    I see that you are in Massachusetts, just a few miles south of me. I can tell you that with the sunny, windy, dry weather and cool nights, I too am seeing lot's of evaporation. I've never had a summer where I've had to add so much water to my pool (almost weekly). Not sure about 2-3 inches, but I'll bet I'm seeing close to that.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Run53 that is very helpful.
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    TF100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Air in returns: I solved this issue using the garden hose method. Turn a garden hose on halfway and hold it over every joint in your "suction side" (pre pump impeller) plumbing and all over your baskets. Take care not to get an water on the pump motor. The bubbles will stop when you have hit the leaking joint. It's actually quite neat. When I held my hose over my ball valve, the bubbles stopped, turned out there was a kinked and worn out gasket in there. The bubbling stopped.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks it was the seal around the basket. I had an extra o-ring and used that and no more air
    EcoFinish Blue Lagoon
    TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!