Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE leaking into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

DE leaking into pool

Hi everyone,I just inherited an in ground pool when I bought my first home and I am having trouble and am overwhelmed getting started with it!! There is DE at the bottom of the pool so we took the Hayward 4820 DE filter apart to inspect. The manifold had a crack and 3 screens had cracked pvc pipes at the top so we replaced all parts and put back together. I was so proud because I know nothing of pools. We put the recommended 10 scoops o de into the skimmer to coat the filters and two days later the bottom of the pool haS DE all
    Over it again. What else could this problem be happening from? When we start the filter the AAR spits water at initial start up and the multiport cable seems to be making a sound (maybe air leaking in somewhere.) could either of these be the problem? Thank you in advance for helping out a new and clueless pool owner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE leaking into pool

Hello and welcome to TFP! Does your filter have the vertical plunger valve, or did your come with a multiport (rotating) selector valve?

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...rid-DExx20.pdf
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you thank you. I believe a rotating multiport valve

4. Back To Top    #4

Then it's possible your valve or commonly the rubber spider gasket inside is defective. Here are a couple examples:
    Sand Filter Multiport Valve Troubleshooting, Sand Filter Part 2 - YouTube
    Changing Your Spider Gasket - YouTube
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!