Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Swim-Ready??

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Swim-Ready??

Hey now. After a week of balancing and adding chemical I finally have my nasty back alley water fairly clear. I have added various amounts of the following:
    Bleach, Muriatic acid, Borax, Algaecide, Pool Magnet and a non chlorine shock treatment.
    My question is this, how can I be sure that it is safe to take my toddler swimming in the pool after adding all of these chemicals to get the balanced, clear water?
    Intex 16' Above Ground Pool 3800 gallons
    Krystal Clear Cartdridge Filter Pump 1,000 gph flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Swim-Ready??

Hello! The only way for us to know now is with some water test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Do you have either one of those? Proper test results are your best yardstick of measurement for clean/sanitized water. Do you happen to know how many gallons your pool is in size?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool is about 4000 gallons. I ordered the TF-100 but haven't received it in the mail yet, so I am just using 6 way test strips currently. Levels are:
    FAC 3
    TCI 4
    ALK 240
    PH 7.2
    TH 450
    CYA 30
    Intex 16' Above Ground Pool 3800 gallons
    Krystal Clear Cartdridge Filter Pump 1,000 gph flow rate

4. Back To Top    #4

It is safe to swim when
    FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart
    PH is 7.2 to 7.8
    Water is clear
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, you probably know we don't place a lot of value on test strips, but you're waiting on your kit to arrives. Here's the best I can say at this point "IF" those were accurate readings:
    - A CYA of 30 is good
    - An FC of 3 is on the verge of being low, I would increase to about 4-5
    - A CC (combined chlorine) of 1 (TC-FC = CC) might indicate some excessive organics waiting to be oxidized. Watch the condition of the water.
    - pH is okay, but ideally let it increase to about 7.5-7.6; aeration can help or just swimming/splashing

This is very difficult without your TF-100, but if those were from that test kit, that's something you might here. Hope that helps. Let us know as soon as your kit arrives.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!