Poway small closed pool new owner need CYA values

Poway

Apr 16, 2016
Poway, CA
Dear folks,
I have been reading lots without posting but the pool rules says to ask the forum!
My pool has a two ft baja shelf and then angles down to 5 ft depth. It is 10X20 feet
so I have estimated the gallons to 4500-4800. It is also covered with an automatic
pool cover when not in use. Therein begins my question. What should the appropriate
CYA be? I think I have some algae because its cloudy right now with a slight green tint.
I went out of town for five days so I couldn't monitor it daily. I added about one lb
of powder form of CYA Saturday and have kept the filter running to distribute it
as the container says. I tested again this morning and there is still no chlorine.
Can you all give me my CYA goal and how often I should test it and what I can do
to get the chlorine level up? :confused: Should I also say I notice black slivers than I can't
touch to look at and calcium hard water chips that comes from the input of the pool.
I just vacuum them up. Also I had the filter cleaned on May 1st and according to
the guage it needs to be cleaned again? Sorry for so many details.

I have the TF100 kit. In reading the slamming rules it says I need a test that doesn't seem to be in the kit. What is the FAS-DPD chlorine test and when can I retest the CYA? I tested it yesterday with it reading 20 or less.But it says not to expect the CYA level to come up for 48 hours.

• You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test
  • You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level.
  • It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.
  • Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).
  • Make sure your filter is working properly and you understand how to clean it out should it become necessary.
  • Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.
  • Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

- - - Updated - - -

Help needed for the amount of bleach to use!