Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poway small closed pool new owner need CYA values

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Poway small closed pool new owner need CYA values

Dear folks,
    I have been reading lots without posting but the pool rules says to ask the forum!
    My pool has a two ft baja shelf and then angles down to 5 ft depth. It is 10X20 feet
    so I have estimated the gallons to 4500-4800. It is also covered with an automatic
    pool cover when not in use. Therein begins my question. What should the appropriate
    CYA be? I think I have some algae because its cloudy right now with a slight green tint.
    I went out of town for five days so I couldn't monitor it daily. I added about one lb
    of powder form of CYA Saturday and have kept the filter running to distribute it
    as the container says. I tested again this morning and there is still no chlorine.
    Can you all give me my CYA goal and how often I should test it and what I can do
    to get the chlorine level up? Should I also say I notice black slivers than I can't
    touch to look at and calcium hard water chips that comes from the input of the pool.
    I just vacuum them up. Also I had the filter cleaned on May 1st and according to
    the guage it needs to be cleaned again? Sorry for so many details.
    Inground; 4875 gal; automatic cover; Coates Model TR Heater;Pentair Intelliflo pump; Intellichor salt gen; Poolmiser auto fill; DE filter; gunnite

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Poway small closed pool new owner need CYA values

What have you been using to test? If you have algae, your filter will quickly clog up. You should clean the filter when pressure is 25% over your normal "clean" pressure.
    If you have a proper test kit (TF100 or a K-2006) it sounds like a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain is in order.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Poway small closed pool new owner need CYA values

I have the TF100 kit. In reading the slamming rules it says I need a test that doesn't seem to be in the kit. What is the FAS-DPD chlorine test and when can I retest the CYA? I tested it yesterday with it reading 20 or less.But it says not to expect the CYA level to come up for 48 hours.

• You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test
    • You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level.
    • It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.
    • Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).
    • Make sure your filter is working properly and you understand how to clean it out should it become necessary.
    • Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.
    • Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

- - - Updated - - -

Help needed for the amount of bleach to use!
    Inground; 4875 gal; automatic cover; Coates Model TR Heater;Pentair Intelliflo pump; Intellichor salt gen; Poolmiser auto fill; DE filter; gunnite