1. Back To Top    #1

new jersey

viny lined pool with concrete walls and pavers

do i need to add hardness to my pool?

ph: 7.5
    fc: 7
    cya: 70
    ta: 80
    ch: 25-75 (i'm colorblind and it looks blue to start, maybe a hint of purple)
    salt: 3400

when i put all of this in pool math, it says my csi is like ~-.8

i was told by the pb that i needed to add hardness, because as water splashes, it has to leach calcium from somewhere. i remember thinking, jeez, wonder if rain waters hard, since as it drains through the sand, it's gonna do the same thing, wonder why they didn't line the outside walls with some kind of tar/vaporbarrier.
    22kgal kidney pool, concrete walls, vinyl liner
    jandy vsfhp165aut with iaqualink controller. jandy cs250 filter. jandy truclear swg. jandy ee2500 heatpump
    all versaplumb fittings throughout equipment 7 ton waterfall driven off pump
    polaris 380, booster pump unknown model. taylor tf100 test equipment

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: viny lined pool with concrete walls and pavers

No, you don't need hardness for the vinyl.

It might be worth checking the heat pump specs and see if there's any water chemistry recommendations. Calcium is easy to add and is a one-time addition. Some people believe the water feels nicer when it's balanced, so that would probably be enough reason for me, but I can't substantiate that.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting