Bleach: READ THE LABEL

Oct 11, 2013
wantagh/NY
I have been using the same bargain bleach (guaranteed value brand from stop & shop) for the last few years with good results. This year after shocking the pool twice I wasn't where I thought I should be, so I took a look at the label. It no longer says 6% sodium hypochlorite , it doesn't have the ingredients at all. The next time I went with the Clorox brand regular bleach (8.25% sodium hypo, 7.85% available chlorine) but they only had 3 gallons left so I bought 1 gallon of the new Clorox regular SPLASH-LESS bleach. When I got home and put on my glasses I took a look at the label and the splash-less bleach DOES NOT SANITIZE OR DISINFECT. The moral to the story is don't be a dummy like me READ THE LABEL.

As I understand it, the only relevant things on the jug are:

It should say bleach somewhere, or pool chlorine or pool chlorinating liquid
Unscented must be yes
Splashless must be no
It must show a % sodium hypochlorite
% available chlorine can be ignored
Manufacturer date should be recent
Any other comments, marketing, etc. with the possible exception of safety tips, should be ignored.

If it fits the above, you can go ahead and use it, and no need to think you're an appendage! :)

As I understand it, the only relevant things on the jug are:

It should say bleach somewhere, or pool chlorine or pool chlorinating liquid
Unscented must be yes
Splashless must be no
It must show a % sodium hypochlorite
% available chlorine can be ignored
Manufacturer date should be recent
Any other comments, marketing, etc. with the possible exception of safety tips, should be ignored.

If it fits the above, you can go ahead and use it, and no need to think you're an appendage! :)

Thank you. What I was trying to point out was that sometimes things change but the label looks the same until you read it. I was using the same bleach for years and it always had the ingredients listed (very small) until this year,now the label is almost identical and I couldn't see any difference without my glasses. I was so used to using the same brand that I never bothered to look until 2 days later. Maybe the moral should be if you can't see, bring your glasses

Speak for yourself. I'm too young to need glasses. However, more and more often I notice that labels use a print that's way too small, and lighting is often inadequate... ahem.

I dodged a bullet myself when I almost bought "outdoor bleach".

That would have been my answer a few years ago, but like I said things change:labels,eyesight give it time. But honestly even if I could have seen the label clearly I probably wouldn't have looked because I had been using it for years and it has the exact same label except that one line in the small print was gone.

lol My sarcasm didn't come across. I went from perfect vision to not being able to read a menu in less than a year. It was probably a lot more than a year now that I think about it. I must've thought that all restaurants had joined a conspiracy to dim their lights at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.