Other ingredients in Clorox bleach -- are they OK?

szmad

Jul 9, 2016
CA
-- I just bought Clorox 8.25% concentrated bleach, product info. says it also has sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium chlorate, and sodium hydroxide, all presumably in small quantities. The modest amount of chemistry I learned tells me that these other ingredients are OK, but I would like an expert here to confirm. So: are these OK, or should I look for something with only sodium hypochlorite?

-- Also, I read in several places here that it is OK to add bleach and muriatic acid in front of the water release jets, but I just want to confirm that this OK to do for a vinyl-lined pool specifically.

Thanks

Yes, those additional chemicals in bleach are fine. All bleach and liquid chlorine, no matter the brand, has a small residual amount of salt and lye in it from the manufacturing process (chloralkali process).

Yes, add chemicals in front of a fast moving return. Never add them right after one another. Add one, then let it mix for 10-15 mins before adding the other.

Yes, that's fine.

Yes, in front of a return jet is the preferred way. You can brush under and around the vicinity of the return jet to help mix it in. Leave the pump running for at least30 minutes after adding.

When needing to add both MA and chlorine (bleach), add them about 10-15 minutes apart. I think the major concern here is that if chlorine and MA mix that chlorine gas can be the result and be emitted from the pool water. Chlorine gas exposure can cause acute respritory distress. When adding either, attempt to keep your back to the wind or breeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.