How "clean" is the gunite shell supposed to be for plaster application?

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
My pool was "cleaned out" on Friday. It rained a bit during the clean out, but water isn't the issue. It just doesn't LOOK clean. There's debris from the cutting of pipes and placement of of fittings/lights, etc. and still a layer of dirt on and around the drains.
Plaster was supposed to be tomorrow. It's been moved to Tuesday due to the rain in Sat. Should I bother the PB in the morning about this or is this normal?

When ours was initially cleaned it looked pretty good, but by the time the plaster guys got there almost a week later, it was looking pretty rough, just from some rain we had, wind blowing dirt, leaves, etc... I was concerned, but just decided to watch the show, and see what happened. If I remember right, they pretty much hosed it all down and got it cleaned up again before getting started, while at the same time other guys were setting plastic etc. Good luck with the plaster!! I'd think Tuesday is still a good day to plaster as you'll have time to get it filled, and have the guys do the equip start up before the weekend.

Denise, I had forgotten what my gunite looked like before plaster, so I did some checking. I'm on my cell, and I don't know how to post pictures with it. If you want to see some photos from my pool build (link in my signature) of my gunite AFTER the clean up crew, you can see photos from p. 32 to page 42. And on page 32, post #625, I wrote what the cleanup crew told me how the plaster crew would clean up more right before they plaster. To quickly recap, due to different delays, I didn't get plaster for a couple of weeks after the cleanup. That's why there are so many pages of my gunite after cleanup before plaster. Zoom in and you can see the 'rust' stains and other stains. Maybe the photos will help you compare to your gunite pre-plaster. Without pictures from you, I can't say.

Remember, every plaster company is going to do things a little differently. I do think since they have good warranties on the finish, they will want to do each step well to avoid problems.

Paris also posted on my build thread some photos of his pool right before plaster. (somewhere between p. 32 and 42). Maybe some others can share photos of their gunite before plaster.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need me to name some specific posts for pictures.

I had the same experience as technobuyer. They set up a big tarp over it, and then went crazy with the pressure washers and removed every last bit of anything before starting on the plaster. Here's a picture of them cleaning it under the tarp.
IMG_1097.jpg

Thanks everyone! That makes me feel better!

Technobuyer, thank you for being so reassuring! With all the issues and lack of quality workmanship, I'm concerned they are just gonna spray the plaster over a dirty debris filled she'll and then we have REAL problems!

Suz- I have been working so much, I haven't had the time to post much. Thank you for referencing your build page for me to look at! VERY helpful!!

Kim- I no longer trust anyone on this build either! I'll be here in the morning for plaster, for sure! I'm supposed to work at 3 (leave by 2) tomorrow afternoon. We'll see... I'm off Wednesday for acid wash and fill and off Thursday for CANNONBALL (hopefully)!!!!

jet- thank you for the picture and the info!!! I can only pray my plaster crew is just as detailed!!

Yeh, we wanna know who gets the first bomb... and can it be off the top of the scupper wall? Maybe you and hubby or one of the grandies off either end from the columns? Just don't try to kiss in mid-air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I highly recommend the cannonball. According to my 7 year old, you should scream "cannonball" while in the air.

Your pool looks great, hope everything goes as planned.

Sounds like he has the sequence down pat!
Thank you!

Mine looked at least that bad, and likely much worse.

My 10 year old son took the honorary first cannonball this afternoon. Good stuff!
Tomorrow I hope to catch up on some of the builds I have been following (like yours). Congrats on reaching swim day!

Yeh, we wanna know who gets the first bomb... and can it be off the top of the scupper wall? Maybe you and hubby or one of the grandies off either end from the columns? Just don't try to kiss in mid-air.
Lol, jet! The pool is only 5.6' deep in the middle and the scuppers jut out a good 8-12" from the wall, so not going to encourage jumping from there. Jumping from the tanning ledge would be fine though. Doubtful on the mid air kiss...I'm quite the klutz.

Denise, for our pool, the plaster crew cleaned the shell the same day they came to plaster. So, don't worry. I think you'll be fine.

Thanks, Marla!! I'm going to be up and out there BRIGHT AND EARLY to make sure that happens!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.