Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the best material to backfill with

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the best material to backfill with

Our project started off as a semi-in-ground pool but as our excavator was digging he had to dig over 4 feet before he hit solid ground. Our entire back yard was landscaped with black top soil. So since we were 4 feet into the ground, we have now gone with a Latham in-ground steel wall pool with a 2.5 foot over dig. I need advise on what we should use for the backfill, especially because beyond the over dig is a wall of 4 feet of top soil. We were thinking that filling that over-dig with 3/4 crush might be strong enough to keep the soil in place. My question is:

1) Is 3/4 clear crush the best material to back fill with and
    2) Do I need big O piping for drainage at the bottom of the pool since I live in the rainy west coast.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Lomart Whispering Wind II, 18 x 39 with a 7' deep end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the best material to backfill with

I would say what ever the mfg of the pool reccommends.

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What is the best material to backfill with

I will add that my fg pool was backfilled with pea gravel and a pea gravel base. They quit using sand because of settling issues

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).