Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Katy
    Posts
    25

    mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

    Hi, I just got some Aqua check test strips to test salt levels for first time. The reading came out to 3.6 which equated to 1040ppm. The correct level is 3000 ppm?Can some one please share what impact low salt levels have in a chlorine pool? I have had some issues with PH rise and scaling in the pool. Below are the latest test results:

    1. FC: 2.0
    2. PH: 7.8
    3. TA: 110
    4. CH: 30
    5. CYA: 95

    I am confused what role salt plays in a chlorine pool. Also according to the charts on the strip bottle it would appear I would need about 350lbs of salt for my pool size!! What form is this salt for pools in?

    Thanks
    Pool completed May 2014 (first time pool owner)
    Dimensions: 19X47, capacity 23,000 gallons
    Pentair Clear plus 420 cartridge filter/Rainbow inline chlorinator with Ozone
    Rainbow inline chlorinator with Ozone
    Polaris 280 cleaner/Taylor K-2006 test kit

  2. Back To Top    #2


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

    Salt is not a requirement in a pool unless you have a SWG.

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    515

    Re: mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

    As was said already, salt is not required unless you have a chlorine generator. The generator uses the salt to create chlorine. Some people without chlorine generators add salt to the water because it improves the feel of the water, but it isn't required.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Katy
    Posts
    25

    Re: mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

    Thanks but it does have an impact on CSI? So should it not be managed to control CSI?

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Salt is not a requirement in a pool unless you have a SWG.

    Dom
    Pool completed May 2014 (first time pool owner)
    Dimensions: 19X47, capacity 23,000 gallons
    Pentair Clear plus 420 cartridge filter/Rainbow inline chlorinator with Ozone
    Rainbow inline chlorinator with Ozone
    Polaris 280 cleaner/Taylor K-2006 test kit

  5. Back To Top    #5


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by imureh View Post
    Thanks but it does have an impact on CSI? So should it not be managed to control CSI?
    I have a vinyl liner, so I am no expert at managing CSI, but......

    There is still no need for salt in a pool managed with liquid chlorine. A well managed & balanced pool should have no issues maintaining a healthy CSI without an additional chemical (eg. salt). I would think that would just be complicating matters.

    There are many folks here who manage non-SWG plaster pools just fine without adding salt.

    There are also others who do the same with salt, either by necessity (SWG), or optionally for the 'feel' of it.

    Dom

    EDIT:
    After re-reading my post, I think you bring up a good point. Could adding salt help manage the CSI of a pool that is 'troublesome' in some other area (eg abnormal CH, TA, CYA or other issues). While I am not an advocate for 'band-aids', I wonder if salt could be helpful in certain situations.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Katy
    Posts
    25

    Re: mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

    That is exactly what I am trying to determine whether I can offset negative impact from TA, CYA etc in a chlorine pool with salt since it does impact CSI

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I have a vinyl liner, so I am no expert at managing CSI, but......

    There is still no need for salt in a pool managed with liquid chlorine. A well managed & balanced pool should have no issues maintaining a healthy CSI without an additional chemical (eg. salt). I would think that would just be complicating matters.

    There are many folks here who manage non-SWG plaster pools just fine without adding salt.

    There are also others who do the same with salt, either by necessity (SWG), or optionally for the 'feel' of it.

    Dom

    EDIT:
    After re-reading my post, I think you bring up a good point. Could adding salt help manage the CSI of a pool that is 'troublesome' in some other area (eg abnormal CH, TA, CYA or other issues). While I am not an advocate for 'band-aids', I wonder if salt could be helpful in certain situations.
    Pool completed May 2014 (first time pool owner)
    Dimensions: 19X47, capacity 23,000 gallons
    Pentair Clear plus 420 cartridge filter/Rainbow inline chlorinator with Ozone
    Rainbow inline chlorinator with Ozone
    Polaris 280 cleaner/Taylor K-2006 test kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •