Lower cya

Do you know how high the water table is in your area? Draining a pool below the water table could cause the pool to float & pop up out of the ground.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've spent most of my morning calling around and my county doesn't have a water department so I called the water servicing company in the county and they didn't know, so then I called my city and they tried directing my to the county and finnaly I tried a local pool store and they said to call the city. What else can I do?

The danger you face when draining a pool too much is that a couple nasty things could happen. The water, which is heavy, and fills up the cavity of the pool, applies pressure to the walls. Too little pressure and the dirt or whatever is outside the pool, pushing back, could cause a cave in. Physics, for every action...

Secondly, too little water in pool could cause your pool liner to become the hull of a boat, and float. The weight of the water is keeping that from happening, like a sunken ship.

They are wanting the water table information to determine a safe distance to drain.

However, if you're not sure, and can't find out, and willing to take on a little risk, you'd probably want to do a few smaller drains of your pool vs. one massive drain. Using the poolmath tab at the top of the page you can put in your pool info and calculate how much CYA you need to drain, which is probably 50% of your pool or more. Adding water back to the top, however, will dilute what's left, and you'll need more than 2x1/4 drains to equal 1/2 of the pool drained. Poolmath is your help there.

To be safe, most guys will tell you if it's an in ground plaster pool to not drain further than the bottom step on the shallow end. So the last step is still submerged slightly. For my pool, and your mileage will certainly vary, that was about a 40% drain.

There is no way to get the CYA number down if you do not drain the water. CYA stays in the pool for a long time.

Also, CYA is linear, so if you have a 150 level and want to get down to 75, you need to drain exactly half of your water. If you want to be at 50, 2/3 of your water.

To make it easy, drain 1/3 of your water, that won't be enough to cause any floating or other issues, but you will then be at 100 when you refill with water. Again, drain 1/3. Now you will be down to roughly 66. If you can live with that, you are done. If you want to get from 66 to 40, that's going to require another 1/3 drain and refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.