Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower cya

1. Back To Top    #1

Lower cya

My cya is at 150 ppm what percentage should I drain to lower the Cya.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lower cya

Do you know how to use PoolMath?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a tutorial: Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Pete23 View Post
    My cya is at 150 ppm what percentage should I drain to lower the Cya.
    Without knowing what type of pool you have, what your water table is, or your CYA goal I don't see how your question could be answered.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a concrete pool about 10000 gallons I want to lower it to around 50 -75 ppm.

5. Back To Top    #5

You still need to learn how to use PoolMath. Drain 2/3.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Do you know how high the water table is in your area? Draining a pool below the water table could cause the pool to float & pop up out of the ground.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know what the water table is.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool is about 5'5 max depth.

8. Back To Top    #8

Call the county.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok. So it can't be lower? Do you think my local pool store will have that info?

10. Back To Top    #10

Call the county in the morning.

11. Back To Top    #11

What's the number they give me?

12. Back To Top    #12

Water table depth in your area. Call and let us know.

13. Back To Top    #13

I've spent most of my morning calling around and my county doesn't have a water department so I called the water servicing company in the county and they didn't know, so then I called my city and they tried directing my to the county and finnaly I tried a local pool store and they said to call the city. What else can I do?

14. Back To Top    #14

The danger you face when draining a pool too much is that a couple nasty things could happen. The water, which is heavy, and fills up the cavity of the pool, applies pressure to the walls. Too little pressure and the dirt or whatever is outside the pool, pushing back, could cause a cave in. Physics, for every action...

Secondly, too little water in pool could cause your pool liner to become the hull of a boat, and float. The weight of the water is keeping that from happening, like a sunken ship.

They are wanting the water table information to determine a safe distance to drain.

However, if you're not sure, and can't find out, and willing to take on a little risk, you'd probably want to do a few smaller drains of your pool vs. one massive drain. Using the poolmath tab at the top of the page you can put in your pool info and calculate how much CYA you need to drain, which is probably 50% of your pool or more. Adding water back to the top, however, will dilute what's left, and you'll need more than 2x1/4 drains to equal 1/2 of the pool drained. Poolmath is your help there.

To be safe, most guys will tell you if it's an in ground plaster pool to not drain further than the bottom step on the shallow end. So the last step is still submerged slightly. For my pool, and your mileage will certainly vary, that was about a 40% drain.
    Lee Mims - Orange, TX, 25400 gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feeder, Century 1081 2-Speed Pool & Spa Pump, Hayward H350FDN (350k BTU) Natural Gas Water Heater, Paramount O3 Ozone, Hayward Super II Pump for Waterfall, Aqualink RS System w/ Remote (Jandy), Taylor K-2006 Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Building department? Permits?

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't think I'll drain it, I don't believe it's worth the risk.

17. Back To Top    #17

There is no way to get the CYA number down if you do not drain the water. CYA stays in the pool for a long time.

Also, CYA is linear, so if you have a 150 level and want to get down to 75, you need to drain exactly half of your water. If you want to be at 50, 2/3 of your water.

To make it easy, drain 1/3 of your water, that won't be enough to cause any floating or other issues, but you will then be at 100 when you refill with water. Again, drain 1/3. Now you will be down to roughly 66. If you can live with that, you are done. If you want to get from 66 to 40, that's going to require another 1/3 drain and refill.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

Do you think draining one end and filling the other end would work effectively?

19. Back To Top    #19

New Page 1 I found this graph of my state and it says between 0-15 so I don't believe it's accurate enough.

20. Back To Top    #20

By the way, how did you test to get a CYA of 150?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast