Through wall skimmer placement.

Jul 3, 2016
Davison, Michigan
For those of you that have installed a through-wall skimmer on your Intex pool, what determined where you placed it in the pool? I'm not asking about height, but rather where, in the pool.

It seems from the pics I've seen that most place it near the existing holes & equipment pad. Is that just because some are using the intex hoses and aren't hard-plumbing everything?

My last pool was in-ground, and the returns and skimmer were far apart, and the returns pushed the water towards the skimmer, which made sense to me.

I see pics of round pools on here and the skimmer is installed right next to the return, and that isn't making sense to me. What am I missing? I've never had a round pool before. Does it have something to do with the round shape and water movement? I plan to hard-plumb and get rid of the Intex hoses, so could do any distance. I'm curious as to what is best and why?

The reason for having the skimmer close to the return in a round pool is that you want to create a circular motion of the water so that the entire surface passes by the skimmer. This is done by pointing the return "eye" away from the skimmer and at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom. With a strong enough pump, this creates a whirlpool effect that brings debris up to the surface and past the skimmer.

The reason for having the skimmer close to the return in a round pool is that you want to create a circular motion of the water so that the entire surface passes by the skimmer. This is done by pointing the return "eye" away from the skimmer and at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom. With a strong enough pump, this creates a whirlpool effect that brings debris up to the surface and past the skimmer.

Thanks for the reply! I thought there had to be a reason for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.