Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Through wall skimmer placement.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Through wall skimmer placement.

For those of you that have installed a through-wall skimmer on your Intex pool, what determined where you placed it in the pool? I'm not asking about height, but rather where, in the pool.

It seems from the pics I've seen that most place it near the existing holes & equipment pad. Is that just because some are using the intex hoses and aren't hard-plumbing everything?

My last pool was in-ground, and the returns and skimmer were far apart, and the returns pushed the water towards the skimmer, which made sense to me.

I see pics of round pools on here and the skimmer is installed right next to the return, and that isn't making sense to me. What am I missing? I've never had a round pool before. Does it have something to do with the round shape and water movement? I plan to hard-plumb and get rid of the Intex hoses, so could do any distance. I'm curious as to what is best and why?
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Through wall skimmer placement.

The reason for having the skimmer close to the return in a round pool is that you want to create a circular motion of the water so that the entire surface passes by the skimmer. This is done by pointing the return "eye" away from the skimmer and at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom. With a strong enough pump, this creates a whirlpool effect that brings debris up to the surface and past the skimmer.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Through wall skimmer placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
    The reason for having the skimmer close to the return in a round pool is that you want to create a circular motion of the water so that the entire surface passes by the skimmer. This is done by pointing the return "eye" away from the skimmer and at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom. With a strong enough pump, this creates a whirlpool effect that brings debris up to the surface and past the skimmer.
    Thanks for the reply! I thought there had to be a reason for it.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten