Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

  1. Back To Top    #1
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Ok panic time here. Had a big party on Sat. Boosted FC chlorine to 8 prior to party, I used 4.5 ppm during the party and then after the party I added FC to a total of 6. Crystal clear the whole time. (Party in 4 hrs! Any extra FC?)
    This morning the FC was at 5, so I thought that was ok considering overnight loss test. (Lost 1)

    Right now at 7pm it is clear. Quick test wasn't even yellow. Drop test never got pink!!!!!

    oh no! FC is 0

    im guessing I need to SLAM??

    one wrinkle is that i added about 15 pounds of calcium chloride this afternoon, would that interfere with these tests? That was 7 hrs ago.

    Thoughts??!!!!!
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Just to save time, I'll post my numbers as of this AM
    CYA 30
    CH 225 (before today's addition)
    TA 110
    pH 7.4
    FC 5
    CC 0

    i just took the pool to shock level. I couldn't risk it. So I'm at shock level 12 right now (per the math not the test)

    lll do the drop test tonight before bed and then again at 6am. If I'm the same I assume I'm ok. If not, I'll boost back to 12 and leave work early.

    This is day 67 for my new pool and I have had pure perfection everyday so far. Oh no!!!!!


    john
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Sounds like a plan! Good luck.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    So at 5:30 am I did two consecutive drop tests. First was 11ppm and second was 10.5ppm. Still crystal clear.

    I guess i conclude that the calcium chloride had organic contamination or that the big party I had left some high chlorine demand that didn't show in the post party tests.

    I just added another 1ppm bleach bc I'm terrified. Off to work.

    If if anyone has any ideas on what happened, please chime in. I assume, at least, that I kept any potential problem under control with the SLAM.
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  5. Back To Top    #5


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA902 View Post
    So at 5:30 am I did two consecutive drop tests. First was 11ppm and second was 10.5ppm. Still crystal clear.

    I guess i conclude that the calcium chloride had organic contamination or that the big party I had left some high chlorine demand that didn't show in the post party tests.

    I just added another 1ppm bleach bc I'm terrified. Off to work.

    If if anyone has any ideas on what happened, please chime in. I assume, at least, that I kept any potential problem under control with the SLAM.
    What was your OCLT starting level?

    Were your CC's still 0.0?

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Shock level (starting level) was 12. CC 0.


    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  7. Back To Top    #7


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnA902 View Post
    Shock level (starting level) was 12. CC 0.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If this were my pool I would stay at shock level and repeat the OCLT until I was well below 1ppm loss. You're right on the cusp of failing the OCLT, don't chance it.

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,497

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Pool,parties can cause very high chlorine demand. Between kids and drinking adults, many don't leave the water when they need to .
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  9. Back To Top    #9
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    If this were my pool I would stay at shock level and repeat the OCLT until I was well below 1ppm loss. You're right on the cusp of failing the OCLT, don't chance it.

    Dom
    I got home from work early. FC is 7ppm, CV is 0ppm. (dropped from 12 FC at 6am) buts it's full sun and now noon.

    Ok I agree. I'll go back to shock level.


    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  10. Back To Top    #10
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Pool,parties can cause very high chlorine demand. Between kids and drinking adults, many don't leave the water when they need to .
    I agree but I thought I had it under control. Way Above is a link to post party testing and next day testing. It seemed like I handled the party ok. Then 24 hrs later I add calcium and drop to 0.

    Water is so sparkling clear right now, just like normal. But I guess my issue is that for the two FC tests first thing in the morning I dropped 1ppm and then 1.5ppm. So that second test implies I keep going. Ug.


    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  11. Back To Top    #11
    GreatCanadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    Posts
    844

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    I think you were right on the cusp of a full algae bloom due to the high bather load. Had you not heeded your gut and raised the chlorine level when you did, you might not caught it. I didn't notice if you said your pool is covered or not during the day. Is it? If not, that will account for SOME of the chlorine loss.

    GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

  12. Back To Top    #12
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    I think you were right on the cusp of a full algae bloom due to the high bather load. Had you not heeded your gut and raised the chlorine level when you did, you might not caught it. I didn't notice if you said your pool is covered or not during the day. Is it? If not, that will account for SOME of the chlorine loss.

    GC
    Uncovered.


    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    28

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    My wife and I want to get our money worth on the pool... So we host a lot of large parties in excess of 25 ppl. Maybe 2 a month during summer. The first time this happened when I took control of my pool, I panicked as it took 4-5 days for my pool to chill out and get back to 3ppm loss per day. So I decided to raise it 12ppm immediately following the party and rim pump all night. This has worked for me at normalizing loss and getting close to that algae bloom.
    20k IG Irish Mist Pebble Sheen, Pentair IntelliFlo, Easy Touch, Clean and Clear 520, Solar Heating. Use Taylor K2006.

  14. Back To Top    #14
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by sigep739 View Post
    My wife and I want to get our money worth on the pool... So we host a lot of large parties in excess of 25 ppl. Maybe 2 a month during summer. The first time this happened when I took control of my pool, I panicked as it took 4-5 days for my pool to chill out and get back to 3ppm loss per day. So I decided to raise it 12ppm immediately following the party and rim pump all night. This has worked for me at normalizing loss and getting close to that algae bloom.
    I think that's the perfect idea. I guess the fault here is the party and not the calcium. I read a post from years ago that implied calcium could be contaminated. I thought I was ok since the chlorine still was present after the party and I was high the next morning. But who knows. It didn't have that "perfect" clarity the morning after but I could still see the bottom very well.


    Almost time to get a reading on FC after dark so I can get the OCLT going.


    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  15. Back To Top    #15
    JohnA902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Baltimore MD
    Posts
    108

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Just to complete this:


    OCLT this AM

    First test- lost 1ppm
    Second test - lost 0ppm

    A lot of variability considering I did them identically. Last night it was 11 and this AM it was 10 and 11 respectively.

    Thanks for the help. We are finished!


    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

    Congrats!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •