I just don't know what to do!

meredd

Aug 5, 2015
Cincinnati Ohio
Last year was my first year of pool ownership. Lucky I found this site before I found the pool store. Last year I closed my pool unsure if I was in the middle of a problem or not. Opened this year and immediately drained my pool 3/4 because my cya was off the charts. Balance everything, and maintain proper levels. Start in on weekend pool maintenance 3 weeks ago and notice my water isn't as crisp as it usually is. Test my water everything is in range but on the low side, rebalance, swim, cover back on. Next day same thing, only now I have "dust" on the bottom. I slammed my pool passed all three. Got a little carried away one night and raised my FC level to 17, the same night I passed all three. 4 days go by no dust water I'd crisp, I'm checking everyday. Chlorine drifts back down hits 8, dust is back. Start the slam all over again. I can't get rid of it and I'm starting to get upset. What do I do? My water looks great. Please help.

FC 12
CC .5
TA 100
PH ?
CYA 30ish

Some other things to consider:
- Are you using a skimmer sock in your pool side skimmer(s)?
- If the white "dust" is dead algae carcass, the DE might grab the finer stuff getting past the sand. Sand filters are great, but some of the very fine particles can get through which is why the DE may help.
- You mentioned the cover. Have you cleaned under the cover? If it had algae under it, it could be re-introducing contaminants to the water when you cover it.
- Also, do you remove the cover long enough each day for the pool to breathe and expose the water to the sun for good oxidation?

I tried to clean the cover as best I could the first cover the first go round. Hate to admit that I sprinkled some bleach around then hosed it off. (Not very thorough) I am gonna add the de hopefully this week. And I will look for a skimmer sock while I'm at it. The cover comes off at least 5 days a week. I have 3 little ones. The oldest is part fish, sorry she just corrected me, mermaid. Lol . Her best friends pool filter went down, it's now a swamp.... could the girls have brought it back with their swimsuits?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes actually. If the organics were bad enough they can cross-contaminate. Also depends on how vulnerable your pool might have been at the time. Several factors come into play. Often times we advise folks to cleanse their swimwear and pool toys during a SLAM just in case. Either way, keep us posted and let us know if you need more assistance. Have a nice day.

I was having similar problems for a brief time. I found there was a small amount of residual algae left under my stairs. Once I fashioned up a towel on a Swifter handle to scrub it, my water got its sparkle back. My brush wouldn't reach, nor could I reach my hand in underneath them. I've been adding that rask into my regular brushing routine.

So my plan is
-clean all swimwear and soak toys
-remove ladder inspect, scrub, and clean area underneath
-clean sand filter and add de
- skimmer sock (can I use panty hose?)
-clean solar cover more thoroughly
-after I pass overnight test bump FC up to mustard level just in case.

I bet it is coming from the ladder, inside the ladder. I just had my kid give it a once over, there are holes drilled in the bottom so the water will weigh it down and I'm thinking, I'm gonna take it out tonight. I'm willing to bet that is where my problem is.

If you can't actually disassemble the ladder rungs, I would leave the entire thing out and soak those things in bleach as long as your pool is in SLAM mode. Do all you can to eliminate that safe-zone for algae in the future. :) Very common trouble spot. Good job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.